All provinces to have BRT system
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Transportation Ministry has urged all provincial governments to build a bus rapid transit (BRT) system and it has set targets to grant 1,000 BRT-standard buses to 34 provinces in Indonesia until the end of this year.
"Provincial governments are required to build the necessary infrastructure, such as bus stops that can accommodate the BRT buses," said head of public relations for the ministry's directorate general for land transportation Taufik Hidayat in Ungaran, Central Java, on Wednesday as quoted by kompas.com.
The ministry is ready to begin the manufacturing program for the 1,000 BRT-standard buses. President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo is scheduled to inaugurate the program on Wednesday at the CV Laksana carrosserie factory in Ungaran.
"We expect the buses to be distributed and in operation by the end of this year. The handover will be to the provincial government, but the operations will be led by the Djakarta Transportation Bus Company (PPD) for Jakarta and state-owned bus company DAMRI for other regions," said Taufik.
Presently, besides Jakarta, provincial governments who already have the BRT system include Bandung, Semarang, Yogyakarta, Padang, Pekanbaru, Medan and Makassar. (kes)
You might also like :
- Is one day strolling in Seoul enough?
- Album Review: 'Automatic for the people' by R.E.M
- At least 200 killed in gun and bomb attack on mosque in Egypt
- Saudi crown prince calls Iran's supreme leader 'new Hitler'
- Luhut rejects PLN’s wish to review agreements with power producers
- Tourism ministry holds human resources training in Surabaya
- Police uncover alleged human trafficking of Indonesians into China
- Jokowi inaugurates Silangit International Airport
- Indonesian, Japanese fishermen await repatriation after capsizing
- Ministers plan talks on request to block Airbnb