All provinces to have BRT system
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Transportation Ministry has urged all provincial governments to build a bus rapid transit (BRT) system and it has set targets to grant 1,000 BRT-standard buses to 34 provinces in Indonesia until the end of this year.
"Provincial governments are required to build the necessary infrastructure, such as bus stops that can accommodate the BRT buses," said head of public relations for the ministry's directorate general for land transportation Taufik Hidayat in Ungaran, Central Java, on Wednesday as quoted by kompas.com.
The ministry is ready to begin the manufacturing program for the 1,000 BRT-standard buses. President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo is scheduled to inaugurate the program on Wednesday at the CV Laksana carrosserie factory in Ungaran.
"We expect the buses to be distributed and in operation by the end of this year. The handover will be to the provincial government, but the operations will be led by the Djakarta Transportation Bus Company (PPD) for Jakarta and state-owned bus company DAMRI for other regions," said Taufik.
Presently, besides Jakarta, provincial governments who already have the BRT system include Bandung, Semarang, Yogyakarta, Padang, Pekanbaru, Medan and Makassar. (kes)
You might also like :
- Seoul Fashion Week ready for kickoff
- 17 missing students in North Sumatra flood rescued
- NTT to move immigrants to island near Australia
- Lewinsky affair not an abuse of power, says Hillary Clinton
- US wants "regime change" in Iran: Rouhani
- The warning signs get stronger
- KPK urged to be resolute in solving IndonesiaLeaks report case
- Movie star Chow Yun-fat to give entire fortune to charity
- Delayed school entry good for mental health: Study
- #UninstallGojek trends after executive shows support for LGBT community