All provinces to have BRT system
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The Transportation Ministry has urged all provincial governments to build a bus rapid transit (BRT) system and it has set targets to grant 1,000 BRT-standard buses to 34 provinces in Indonesia until the end of this year.
"Provincial governments are required to build the necessary infrastructure, such as bus stops that can accommodate the BRT buses," said head of public relations for the ministry's directorate general for land transportation Taufik Hidayat in Ungaran, Central Java, on Wednesday as quoted by kompas.com.
The ministry is ready to begin the manufacturing program for the 1,000 BRT-standard buses. President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo is scheduled to inaugurate the program on Wednesday at the CV Laksana carrosserie factory in Ungaran.
"We expect the buses to be distributed and in operation by the end of this year. The handover will be to the provincial government, but the operations will be led by the Djakarta Transportation Bus Company (PPD) for Jakarta and state-owned bus company DAMRI for other regions," said Taufik.
Presently, besides Jakarta, provincial governments who already have the BRT system include Bandung, Semarang, Yogyakarta, Padang, Pekanbaru, Medan and Makassar. (kes)
You might also like :
- Official turns mute about flourishing prostitution in his area
- Nearly 50,000 flee amid fears of Mt. Agung eruption
- Yogyakarta Indonesian Association Amusement Parks and Recreation meets with GenPI Yogyakarta
- Nine airports prepared in anticipation of Mt. Agung eruption
- Mt. Agung's magma moves upward
- Mt. Agung eruption could be imminent: Agency
- Jokowi to visit Mt. Agung evacuees
- Two Vietnamese fishermen dead in Philippine navy chase
- ASEAN endorses East Sea code proposal
- British actor Fiennes given Serbian passport