Ahok says Jakarta is not child friendly
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Governor Basuki 'Ahok' Tjahaja Purnama has said that Jakarta is not a city that is easy for children to live in because there are many facilities that are not designed for children. He also noted the high number of dropouts.
'In my opinion, Jakarta is not a friendly city for children. The sidewalks and playgrounds are still in a poor condition. There are still many children who cannot attend schools,' said Ahok at City Hall on Wednesday as reported by kompas.com.
He, however, promised his administration would make the city friendlier for children. According to Ahok, the development of the Child Friendly Integrated Public Spaces (RPTRA) project is part of an effort to change the city image.
He said his administration was set to launch 60 RPTRA parks across the capital this year. And next year the administration will develop 150 more RPTRA parks
'The RPTRA is not just a park, but it is equipped with various facilities, starting with facilities for pregnant women and continuing to facilities for elderly people,' he said.
He also claimed that the distribution of the Jakarta Smart Cards (KJS) was one of the ways of improving child welfare.
Ahok said that the city had completed the development of the RPTRA parks, while development of 54 others would finish by the end of this year. He said that he had instructed the relevant agencies to start acquiring land for the development of 150 RPTRA parks this year.
The development of the RPTRA parks was financed by private companies through Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). The companies were allowed to display logos and their names at RPTRA parks that they developed. (bbn)
You might also like :
- Japan to offer e-visa to tourists starting April 2020
- Meikarta graft case: KPK searches residence of Lippo Group CEO James Riady
- Indonesia’s competitiveness improves, but still well below Singapore, Malaysia
- For the sake of integrity
- IMF chief postpones Middle East trip with Saudi stop
- Movie star Chow Yun-fat to give entire fortune to charity
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Arsonist sentenced to 24 years for Texas mosque burning
- Lippo Group executive arrested in Meikarta bribery case
- Fan Bingbing spotted for first time in months, outside Beijing airport