Former minister testifies as witness in extortion case
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Former manpower and transmigration minister Muhaimin Iskandar fulfilled on Wednesday the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) investigators' summons for a questioning as a witness in an alleged extortion case at the ministry's transmigration area development management directorate.
KPK questioned the former minister as a witness for extortion suspect Jamaluddien Malik, former director general for transmigration area development management at the Manpower and Transmigration Ministry (now the Villages, Disadvantaged Regions and Transmigration Ministry).
Muhaimin, who is also the National Awakening Party (PKB) chairman, arrived at the KPK headquarters at 9:40 a.m.
'I was summoned to testify as a witness for Pak Jamal. He was a director general when I was the [Manpower and Transmigration] minister,' he said as quoted by kompas.com in Jakarta on Wednesday.
Muhaimin was scheduled to undergo a questioning on Friday but he asked the KPK to delay it as he was ill.
Jamaluddien is suspected to have allegedly extorted to benefit himself or other people by violating laws. Allegedly he forced people to give gifts or money related for the ministry's services during the budget year of 2013-2014 and assignment funds for the 2014 fiscal year.
Muhaimin claimed he did not know anything about the extortion, however.
The KPK said earlier it could not yet estimate the potential financial losses to the state in the case.
In its investigation into the case, the KPK searched three locations, namely the Villages, Disadvantaged Regions and Transmigration Ministry office on Jl. Kalibata, Jamaluddien's house in Cinere, South Jakarta, and the house of the ministry's director of transmigration area development technical planning, Arsyad Nurdin, in Jatibening, Bekasi. KPK investigators confiscated a number of documents in the three locations. (ebf)(+)
You might also like :
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- India launches 'Modicare', world's biggest health scheme
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- China's bullet trains are coming for Hong Kong's airlines
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- Attempt to send underage prostitutes to Bali ends at airport: Police
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy