Setya Novanto reports Sudirman Said over Freeport case
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
House of Representatives Speaker Setya Novanto reported Energy and Mineral Resources Minister Sudirman Said on Wednesday to the National Police's Criminal Investigation Corps (Bareskrim).
"I am here [at Bareskrim] to report Minister SS [Sudirman Said]," Firman Wijaya, Setya's lawyer, said as quoted by kompas.com.
Setya accused the minister of violating laws related to the audio recording of his conversation with PT Freeport Indonesia president director Maroef Sjamsoeddin and oil tycoon Reza Chalid.
"For alleged slander, defamation, insults and violation of the ITE [Electronic Transaction Information] Law," said Firman.
According to Firman, the decision to file a report on Sudirman to Bareskrim was to clear up all accusations that had been bombarding his client, since the accusations had seriously defamed Setya's name.
Previously, Sudirman had reported Setya to the House ethics council (MKD) for allegedly misusing the names of President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo and Vice President Jusuf Kalla for a backroom deal with PT Freeport Indonesia.
Sudirman also handed over the audio recording of the conversation between Freeport president director Maroef Sjamsoeddin and oil tycoon Reza Chalid, which the council used as evidence during a series of hearings.
However, Setya denied everything said in the testimony given by Maroef and Sudirman during the hearings, saying that he would not make any comment as the audio recording had been taped illegally and was against the law.
Separately, the deputy chairman of the ethics council, Sufmi Dasco, said that Setya had the right to report Sudirman as both officials had equal rights under the law.
"As we see, every citizen shares equal rights under law. This applies to Setya as well," said Dasco as quoted by kompas.com.
Meanwhile, council member Syarifudin Sudding said that he did not question the report that Setya filed with the police. (dan)
You might also like :
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Lotte Chemical Indonesia begins construction of plant in Cilegon
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- Prabowo answers all your burning questions in his little blue book
- Jokowi stresses tolerance at cultural congress conclusion
- TNI denies explosive use during rescue after Papua shootings
- Low deficits and fiscal prudence
- Indonesia’s e-commerce sales predicted to reach US$65b in 2022