Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Video Weather icon 30°C
DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
weather-icon
30°C Partly Cloudy

Dry and mostly cloudy throughout the day.

  • weather-icon

    Wed

    26℃ - 32℃

  • weather-icon

    Thu

    25℃ - 32℃

  • weather-icon

    Fri

    25℃ - 31℃

  • weather-icon

    Sat

    26℃ - 30℃

Jokowi in no hurry to decide on Masela gas block

  • The Jakarta Post

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta | Tue, December 29, 2015 | 07:23 pm
Jokowi in no hurry to decide on Masela gas block Undecided: President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo says the decision on the development of the Masela gas block will be announced after he meets the consultant. The planned development of the Abadi field in the Masela block in the Arafura sea has been in the spotlight after Coordinating Maritime Affairs Minister Rizal Ramli opposed plans for an offshore liquefied natural gas plant. (kompas.com/​Indra Akuntono) (kompas.com/​Indra Akuntono)

Undecided: President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo says the decision on the development of the Masela gas block will be announced after he meets the consultant. The planned development of the Abadi field in the Masela block in the Arafura sea has been in the spotlight after Coordinating Maritime Affairs Minister Rizal Ramli opposed plans for an offshore liquefied natural gas plant. (kompas.com/'€‹Indra Akuntono)

President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo remains undecided on the fate of the Masela natural gas block after an independent team submitted its recommendations in a study on the development of the site in the Arafuru Sea, Maluku.

Energy and Mineral Resources Minister Sudirman Said presented the study results in a limited Cabinet meeting in the Presidential Palace on Tuesday, saying the block should be developed under the offshore scheme through a floating storage regasification unit (FSRU).

However, Coordinating Maritime Affairs Minister Rizal Ramli recommended the block be developed under the onshore scheme.

Jokowi, meanwhile, said the development of the large project should be decided carefully in a way that would maximally the benefits of the nation in the utilization of natural resources.

"Let'€™s not rush. The decision must be correct. I want this great project to provide benefits and multiplier effects to our national economy," said Jokowi as quoted by kompas.com in Jakarta on Tuesday.

Therefore, the final decision on the Masela block should be decided after Jokowi called the consultant, namely Poten and Partners.

Sudirman explained that the President needed to consult with the consultant on the best development scheme.

"Offshore and onshore development each have advantages and disadvantages. The President wants to decide it carefully," he said.

Regional economy

Jokowi, according to Sudirman, demanded that the decision on the Masela block also take into account regional development, urging a solution that, aside from the investment itself, contributed to development in industries such as fertilizer and electricity.

The Masela'€™s plan of development (POD) has been approved in 2010. However, a revised plan was submitted to the Upstream Oil and Gas Regulatory Special Task Force (SKK Migas) following the discovery of greater gas resources.

The revision foresees increasing the capacity of the floating LNG terminal to 7.5 million tons per annum from 2.5 million tons previously.

Inpex, the operator of the Masela block project with a 65 percent stake, estimates the proven gas reserves at 10.7 trillion cubic feet. Shell owns the other 35 percent. (ami/ags)

Comments