Renewable energy must be boosted five-fold by 2025: Jokowi
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo has underlined the importance of clean energy development and energy conservation in the nation’s roadmap of energy development up to 2050.
At the National Energy Board (DEN) plenary meeting at the Presidential Office, he called for an acceleration of renewable energy development five-fold so that clean energy could reach 23 percent of the total energy mix by 2025.
"Please, no more sectoral egos. It's a national commitment, our mutual commitment. I want the establishment of a general plan for national energy, or RUEN, to encourage aggressive development of clean energy and energy conservation," he said in Jakarta on Wednesday.
Jokowi said now is the time for Indonesia to set a more comprehensive roadmap of development in the energy sector as the guideline for the central government, local administrations, state enterprises and stakeholders to work hand-in-hand in a long-term partnership.
"I hope the general plan of national energy can answer the energy problems we face today and can anticipate global energy problems in the future," the President said.
He also said that Indonesia should use the persistent downward trend of global oil prices as an opportunity to reform the energy sector, from the upstream to the downstream side. (ags)
You might also like :
- Obama arrives in Bali
- Media mogul declared intimidation suspect
- Indonesia's Jangkrik field’s first LNG cargo delivered
- Australia sends spy planes to south Philippines
- Former US president Obama to arrive on Bali this afternoon
- Australian citizen denied entry to Bali due to criminal record
- Property developer sees potential to build office buildings for startups in Bali
- Indonesia's upstream projects proposed for strategic project list
- No extravagant ceremony to welcome Obama: Official
- Online drivers choose to stay in Jakarta to earn more cash