Images: ‘Mekare Kare’ - “Blood offering for the god of war”
WORDS AND PHOTOS AGUNG PARAMESWARA
Every year, the villagers of Tenganan Pegringsingan in Karangasem celebrate a month-long religious festival called Usaba Sambah, to respect lord Indra, the god of war in Hindu mythology.
Among the rituals held during the festival is Mekare Kare or perang pandan, where the men of Tenganan proudly display their courage in a ritual battle. This year, the ritual took place on June 24 and 25. <...
- Prosecutors demand 1.5 years for Buddhist woman on ‘azan’ blasphemy charge
- Malaysia to alter 'hideous' tourism logo featuring ape in shades
- Sony's new super-fast cameras are winning over the pros
- Iran unveils next generation missile: Media
- School boy, 14, runs for Vermont governor
- China designs spacecraft to extend lifespan of satellites
- Former S. Korea presidential hopeful acquitted in sex abuse case
- Protests at funeral for Yemeni children killed in coalition strike
- Defending territorial integrity over Natuna islands
- Fire razes Gurusina traditional village in East Nusa Tenggara