Images: ‘Mekare Kare’ - “Blood offering for the god of war”
WORDS AND PHOTOS AGUNG PARAMESWARA
Every year, the villagers of Tenganan Pegringsingan in Karangasem celebrate a month-long religious festival called Usaba Sambah, to respect lord Indra, the god of war in Hindu mythology.
Among the rituals held during the festival is Mekare Kare or perang pandan, where the men of Tenganan proudly display their courage in a ritual battle. This year, the ritual took place on June 24 and 25. <...
- Transjakarta driver steals bus: Police
- Dutch national arrested over alleged hashish possession
- Why RCEP is more dangerous than Bilateral Investment Treaties
- Celebrities lash out at Trump’s decision to ban transgenders from military service
- Ahok donates Rp 200 million for dancing fountain renovation
- PAN to withdraw from KPK inquiry committee
- City to repair sidewalks with leftover budget from Semanggi project
- Cut! Regulators at odds with censors
- Redenomination not in near future: Jokowi
- Freeport yet to extend operating permit: Ministry