Images: ‘Mekare Kare’ - “Blood offering for the god of war”
WORDS AND PHOTOS AGUNG PARAMESWARA
Every year, the villagers of Tenganan Pegringsingan in Karangasem celebrate a month-long religious festival called Usaba Sambah, to respect lord Indra, the god of war in Hindu mythology.
Among the rituals held during the festival is Mekare Kare or perang pandan, where the men of Tenganan proudly display their courage in a ritual battle. This year, the ritual took place on June 24 and 25. <...
- 8.2 magnitude quake hits off coast of Alaska: USGS
- Jakarta Planetarium to host public lunar eclipse observation on Jan 31
- Depok men arrested for allegedly uploading sex video
- Auction lowered price of industrial sugar, Trade Ministry says
- BREAKING: Strong 6.4 earthquake hits Banten, no tsunami warning
- Earthquake leads to traffic jams in Jakarta
- Defector soldier 'committed murder in North Korea': report
- Jokowi criticizes regions for lengthy business permit issuance
- Hundreds of houses damaged by Lebak earthquake
- BI to punish payment service providers using Bitcoin