Jokowi gather economists, biz associations in a lunch
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo held a lunch meeting with prominent economists and business association leaders at the Merdeka Palace on Thursday to discuss Indonesia's current economic condition.
During the lunch meeting, Jokowi said global economic conditions had yet to be improved as the International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Bank and the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) projected a decline in global economic growth.
While on the home front, exports remain sluggish due to persistently low commodity prices.
"However, I am optimistic there are opportunities that we can take, [...] I want massive investment flows in, because every time I travel abroad we become the target of capital inflows, but we are still facing many problems, many obstacles," Jokowi explained.
The prominent economists invited to the lunch meeting, among others, were Raden Pardede, Hendri Saparini, Destry Damayanti, Iman Sugema, Enny Sri Hartati, Tony Prasetyantono, Revrisond Baswir and A Prasetyantoko.
Chairmen of three prominent business associations also attended the meeting, namely Indonesian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Kadin) chairman Rosan Roslani, Indonesian Employers Association (Apindo) chairman Hariyadi Sukamdani and Indonesian Young Entrepreneurs Association (Hipmi) chairman Bahlil Lahadia. (ags)
You might also like :
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- First to red planet will become Martians: Canada astronaut
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- China's bullet trains are coming for Hong Kong's airlines