Indonesia’s ‘Single’s Day’ set to delight e-shoppers
The Jakarta Post
Electronics and fashion items will be the primary products during Indonesia’s largest annual online sale event, Harbolnas (National Online Shopping Day), which includes over 200 e-commerce platforms.
The event, which will run from Dec. 12 to Dec. 14, has been going on for the last five years, with sales and interest growth increasing every year. It resembles Alibaba Group's Global Shopping Festival, the world's biggest online shopping day of the year held on Single’s Day, the Chinese holiday for single people.
As internet and smartphone usage have continued to rise, Indonesian e-commerce players say that it is only natural that interest in online shopping grows, as well.
Some outlets will also offer mega discounts of up to 99 percent.
Harbolnas committee head Miranda Suwanto said on Wednesday that a majority of shoppers would represent the 25 to 35-year-old demographic, similar to last year.
“Last year, we earned Rp 2.1 trillion in transactions, and this year we expect to double or triple that number,” said Miranda, who also serves as senior vice president of strategic partnership at Lazada Indonesia.
The strategies adopted by platforms, such as Lazada and MatahariMall, mostly revolve around offering substantial offers and discounts, which MatahariMall campaign strategist Winardi Cristian Lim describes as “too tantalizing to pass up”.
“Last year, we managed to sell smartphones for Rp 100,000 without added charges,” he said. (hwa)
You might also like :
- Study to challenge claim Indonesia second-biggest marine polluter
- Let them eat quinoa: Malaysian PM mocked for being out of touch
- BREAKING: PDI-P officially endorses Jokowi for 2019 presidential election
- Katy Perry: Her vibes on Jakarta's energy
- Two injured in Louisiana university shooting
- Booking.com reveals most affordable months to travel
- Anies remains tight-lipped after being reported to police
- Turkey navy 'threatens force' against Italy drillship: Cyprus
- Baby lobster smugglers arrested
- Kaum Jakarta named capital's restaurant of the year