Indonesia aims for single title in All England
The Jakarta Post
The Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI) has aimed for a lowly single title in the upcoming All England world superseries premier tournament, a realistic target as it only brought home a mixed doubles title from last year’s edition.
“At least we could retain the [mixed doubles] title – that’s the target. But, of course, we want all sectors to perform their best. We really hope we won’t be just bringing one title home, but maybe two titles. Who knows?” said PBSI head of sports development Susy Susanti, as quoted by the association’s website, badmintonindonesia.org.
In 2016, Indonesia’s second-best mixed doubles pair Praveen Jordan and Debby Susanto won the title after ousting Danes Joachim Fischer Nielsen and Christinna Pedersen 21-12, 21-17.
Indonesia is hoping for its favorite mixed doubles and men’s doubles pairs to snatch the All England titles, said Susy.
Besides Praveen and Debby, veteran Sony Dwi Kuncoro in men’s singles, Fitriani in women’s singles, Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo and Marcus Fernaldi Gideon in men’s doubles, Greysia Polii and Rizki Amelia Pradipta in women’s doubles, and Olympians Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir in mixed doubles are among the Indonesian shuttlers going to Birmingham for the March 7 to 12 tournament.
You might also like :
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Car hits pedestrians outside UK mosque in suspected hate crime
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Makassar mother named child abuse suspect
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Record $27.5 mn settlement in NY Catholic child sex abuse case
- Instant Noodle Longform