Chinese workers detained in Bekasi
The Jakarta Post
Bekasi officials detained three Chinese workers for allegedly breaching their living and working permits during an unscheduled inspection at an apartment construction site in the West Java regency on Wednesday.
“Their temporary stay permits [KITAS] and passports expired in 2015. They also don’t hold any work permits,” said the Bekasi National and Political Unity Office head Ahmad Kosasih as quoted by tribunnews.com.
Ahmad said the workers had been working at the construction site for a month, adding that the workers had informed the authorities that 30 other foreigners working at the site were not present during the inspection.
Bekasi regency council member Nyumarno said the inspection was conducted following complaints from locals and workers about the increasing number of foreign workers at the construction site.
He said the council would coordinate with the regency’s immigration office and manpower and transmigration agency to prevent other foreign workers from breaching regulations.
“We also asked the agency and private companies to employ more locals in the project,” Nyumarno said. (kkk)
- Jakarta shocked by deadly bombings days before Ramadhan
- #PrayForJakarta, #KamiTidakTakut trend worldwide following bomb blast
- Film inspired by 212 rally to hit cinemas
- Kampung Melayu suicide bomber identified
- UK issues travel warning after Kampung Melayu bombings
- Police find links between Jakarta twin bombings and Bandung bombing
- East Jakarta suicide blasts likely linked to IS: Police
- Pressure cooker bombs used in Kampung Melayu attack: Police
- Jakarta bombing attack a retaliation against police: Analyst
- Jakarta suicide bombing kills three police officers