Indonesian badminton duo becomes world No. 1
The Jakarta Post
It has been a merry March for Indonesia’s newest top pair in men’s doubles, Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo and Marcus Fernaldi Gideon, as they surged to the top spot in the world rankings shortly after winning the prestigious All England tournament.
The Badminton World Federation’s website at bwfbadminton.com showed that Kevin and Marcus had dethroned Malaysian pair V. Shem Goh and Wee Kiong Tan.
The Indonesian duo has booked an overall of 54 victories so far and pocketed US$249,701 in prize money. Kevin and Marcus have collected 73,051 points in 14 tournaments since the 2016 New Zealand Open.
The All England victory was monumental for Kevin and Marcus, as they started to perform flawlessly to replace their seniors, Olympic and world champions Markis Kido and Hendra Setiawan, as the top men's pair in Indonesian badminton.
Of the 14 tournaments, Kevin and Marcus won in the India Open, the Singapore Open, the Australian Badminton Open and the China Open throughout 2016.
- Jakarta shocked by deadly bombings days before Ramadhan
- #PrayForJakarta, #KamiTidakTakut trend worldwide following bomb blast
- Film inspired by 212 rally to hit cinemas
- Kampung Melayu suicide bomber identified
- Police find links between Jakarta twin bombings and Bandung bombing
- UK issues travel warning after Kampung Melayu bombings
- East Jakarta suicide blasts likely linked to IS: Police
- Pressure cooker bombs used in Kampung Melayu attack: Police
- Jakarta suicide bombing kills three police officers
- Jakarta bombing attack a retaliation against police: Analyst