Indonesian badminton duo becomes world No. 1
The Jakarta Post
It has been a merry March for Indonesia’s newest top pair in men’s doubles, Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo and Marcus Fernaldi Gideon, as they surged to the top spot in the world rankings shortly after winning the prestigious All England tournament.
The Badminton World Federation’s website at bwfbadminton.com showed that Kevin and Marcus had dethroned Malaysian pair V. Shem Goh and Wee Kiong Tan.
The Indonesian duo has booked an overall of 54 victories so far and pocketed US$249,701 in prize money. Kevin and Marcus have collected 73,051 points in 14 tournaments since the 2016 New Zealand Open.
The All England victory was monumental for Kevin and Marcus, as they started to perform flawlessly to replace their seniors, Olympic and world champions Markis Kido and Hendra Setiawan, as the top men's pair in Indonesian badminton.
Of the 14 tournaments, Kevin and Marcus won in the India Open, the Singapore Open, the Australian Badminton Open and the China Open throughout 2016.
- OK Otrip opposed by minivan operators
- Sandiaga admits allowing ‘becak’ a political contract
- Men treated as dogs and pigs in Paris catwalk shows
- Woody Allen backlash grows as daughter says telling 'truth'
- Welcoming ASEAN's new secretary-general
- New Air Force chief to prioritize procurement of jet fighters
- Lazada to implement e-payment gateway system this year
- Jokowi inaugurates new Cabinet ministers
- PGN to acquire Pertagas in cash scheme
- Celine Dion's Jakarta concert ticket price reaches Rp 25m