Indonesian badminton duo becomes world No. 1
The Jakarta Post
It has been a merry March for Indonesia’s newest top pair in men’s doubles, Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo and Marcus Fernaldi Gideon, as they surged to the top spot in the world rankings shortly after winning the prestigious All England tournament.
The Badminton World Federation’s website at bwfbadminton.com showed that Kevin and Marcus had dethroned Malaysian pair V. Shem Goh and Wee Kiong Tan.
The Indonesian duo has booked an overall of 54 victories so far and pocketed US$249,701 in prize money. Kevin and Marcus have collected 73,051 points in 14 tournaments since the 2016 New Zealand Open.
The All England victory was monumental for Kevin and Marcus, as they started to perform flawlessly to replace their seniors, Olympic and world champions Markis Kido and Hendra Setiawan, as the top men's pair in Indonesian badminton.
Of the 14 tournaments, Kevin and Marcus won in the India Open, the Singapore Open, the Australian Badminton Open and the China Open throughout 2016.
- Bali welcomes Barack Obama and family
- It’s official, Idul Fitri is tomorrow
- No merry Idul Fitri celebration for Ahmadiyah followers in Depok
- Minister, MUI call for peaceful Idul Fitri sermons
- Malaysian PM to vacation in Bali after Obama
- Food prices spike in Jakarta a day before Idul Fitri
- Jokowi to stay in Jakarta for Idul Fitri
- Ahmadiyah mosque in Depok vandalized ahead of Idul Fitri
- JICA calls for stronger unity in ASEAN to exert bigger power
- Surakarta terminal sees decline in bus passengers