Dortmund CEO considered withdrawing from Champions League
Borussia Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke considered withdrawing the club from the Champions League following Tuesday's attack on its team bus.
Watzke tells Der Spiegel magazine, "I briefly considered whether we should pull out of the competition completely. But then it would have been a victory for the perpetrators."
He says the attack wasn't just an attack on Dortmund "but rather an attack on the Federal Republic of Germany."
Defender Marc Bartra and a police officer were wounded when three explosions hit the team bus as it was leaving for the stadium ahead of the first leg of the Champions League quarterfinal against Monaco.
Investigators are examining a number of claims of responsibility, the latest containing far-right rhetoric. Links to Islamic extremism and left-wing radicals are also being probed.
- Survey finds Jakarta among world’s worst for women
- Barack Obama returns to the political arena
- Marinda airport in Raja Ampat set to become international airport
- More drug dealers to be shot dead: BNN chief
- Across Asia, liver cancer is linked to herbal remedies: Study
- EDITORIAL: Jokowi grows on the job
- North Jakarta group cancels Alexis Hotel protest
- Airline, bank reach for the sky with e-money
- Philippines to reject EU aid: Duterte
- Preventing osteoporosis: How to boost bone health