Jakarta shames (the idea of) Indonesia
A violent gut-wrenching twist ripped apart my stomach as the Jakarta election quick-count results were announced. My mouth immediately ran dry, filled with a powerful sour and salty aftertaste.
The iron-like saltiness was clearly blood, probably generated by internal bleeding as my organs threatened to shut down in a coordinated wave of protest, demanding that I move them to a different ci...
- 53 injured as Saudi jet makes emergency landing
- Anwar reassures Malays who fear losing racial advantage
- Police find 'missing' teen's body at South Jakarta apartment
- Commentary: Soeharto's most likely successor? How about Prabowo?
- Castle restoration plan with no elevators causing controversy
- Police probe Jakarta officials on fatal Monas incident
- Joey Alexander among '50 Asians to watch'
- Danish minister says Ramadan fasting can be 'dangerous'
- Australian archbishop guilty of concealing child sex abuse
- How new antiterrorism law will change Indonesia's war on terror