Indonesia calls for concrete projects for OBOR
The Jakarta Post
Indonesia at the Belt and Road Summit in Beijing underlined on Monday the importance of integrating the archipelago, as well as the Southeast Asian region in developing China's vision to revive a modern-day Silk Road.
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo said maritime aspects in the One Belt, One Road (OBOR) would be difficult to realize without significant contribution from Indonesia and Southeast Asian countries, according to a State Palace statement.
In addressing the attending 28 national leaders at the forum, Jokowi noted that Indonesia, as the largest maritime economic zone that was strategically located between the Indian Ocean and the Pacific Ocean, was ripe with the potential for connectivity development because of its lack of infrastructure.
While touting ongoing national efforts in large-scale infrastructure development, Jokowi invited projects on cooperation and connectivity development as part of realizing the vision of OBOR.
"As President Xi Jinping announced yesterday morning, our vision will be built one by one. There is an English saying of 'seeing is believing,' let's show the world that we are actually building our vision in a concrete way," Jokowi said.
Jokowi was in Beijing for the Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation (BRF), where he and Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping witnessed the signing of a business agreement between the two countries on a US$4.5 billion loan with the China Development Bank to build Indonesia's first high-speed railway. (ipa)
- Convicted drug smuggler Corby returns to Australia from Bali
- Police arrest another man with suspected links to E. Jakarta bombings
- Man nabbed for spreading fake chat impersonating top cops
- New rule could give banks more headaches
- Girl locked up for days by new Facebook friend in West Jakarta
- Three dead as truck rams into motorcyclists in Medan
- Extraordinary measures needed to root out terrorists: BIN chief
- To control population, Yogyakarta offers Rp 1 million for men to undergo vasectomies
- Investigation of helicopter procurement graft might target higher officials
- Jakarta train stations to provide passengers with 'takjil'