Surakarta councillors oppose full-day school
Ganug Adi Nugroho
The Jakarta Post
Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) councillors in Surakarta, Central Java, have rejected a plan to keep students at school for eight hours a day, instead of five to six hours.
PDI-P Surakarta chairman YF Sukasno said on Thursday said the policy would not work in some areas in the country, especially in rural areas where many students lived far from their schools.
“What time would these students reach home?” Sukasno said.
Sukasno argued that the policy would strip students of quality time with their families, from which they could learn family values.
“The time [allocated] for home and school should be proportional. If students study full time in school, when will they have the time for family education?” Sukasno said, adding that the policy was made for families in urban, not rural, areas.
(Read also: Parents, ‘madrasah’ teachers concerned about five-day school policy)
The PDI-P chapter in Surakarta, he said, would send a rejection letter to Culture and Education Minister Muhadjir Effendy.
The minister has said the new policy will be implemented in the upcoming 2017/2018 academic year.
Responding to the new policy, Surakarta Education Agency head Etty Retnowati said teachers should make school fun and interesting or the students would learn nothing but boredom. (ary)
- Thousands sign petition against sentence for Malaysian who abused maid
- Saudi Arabia beheads Indonesian worker despite Jokowi’s pleas for clemency
- Bottled water meets quality standards: BPOM
- Why the rich in Jakarta have better access to water than the poor
- No condoms or cigarettes sold at Muslim convenience store in Depok
- Missing giant yellow duck found in Australia
- Residents clash with police personnel in land execution in C. Sulawesi
- Anies issues regulation simplifying process of shutting down entertainment spots
- With Rp 10 billion, what kind of home can you get in Jakarta?
- Indonesian short film on oil palm industry enters international festivals