Police drop naked woman’s case over mental health issues
The Jakarta Post
The police have decided to drop the investigation into VM, a 26-year-old woman who appeared almost naked in a recent video that went viral.
“Because she has 44 [mental disorders] we cannot continue the investigation,” Taman Sari Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Erick Frendiz said as quoted by kompas.com on Friday.
Recently, a video went viral showing VM wearing nothing but a thong as she made a purchase at a drug store in Taman Sari, West Jakarta. Another photo, which showed her walking along a street almost naked, also went viral over the weekend.
In early June, the police arrested VM at her residence at the Rasuna Said Apartments in Kuningan, South Jakarta.
However, VM has been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, a mental health issue in which a person experiences a combination of schizophrenia symptoms, such as hallucinations or delusions, as well as depression or mania.
The police, therefore, concluded that VM could not be blamed for her actions.
“She lacks understanding of the risks of [her] actions, or how to control her actions,” Erick said.
VM was subsequently discharged from the Kramat Jati National Police Hospital in Kramat Jati, East Jakarta, and is currently being treated by her family. (han)
- Three former presidents join Jokowi to celebrate Independence Day
- Jokowi praises Jakarta for Semanggi interchange
- Ahok, other prisoners barred from Independence Day event
- Eleven teens suspected in prostitution ring
- UGM tops RI university ranking
- Jokowi inaugurates new Semanggi overpass on Independence Day
- SEA Games: Indonesia beats Philippines 3-0
- China gets tough on long, odd company names
- SBY attends ceremony at State Palace
- KPK gets new information on flow of funds in e-ID graft