Jakarta Post

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Video Weather icon 30°C
DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
30°C Partly Cloudy

Dry and mostly cloudy throughout the day.

  • Wed

    26℃ - 32℃

  • Thu

    25℃ - 32℃

  • Fri

    25℃ - 31℃

  • Sat

    26℃ - 30℃

City Council to recommend additional MRT funds

  • News Desk
    News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta | Tue, July 11, 2017 | 03:32 pm
City Council to recommend additional MRT funds Construction workers are seen on the scaffolding of Lebak Bulus MRT Station in South Jakarta, Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2017. The MRT will be integrated with several Transjakarta Corridors and is expected to be operational in 2019. (JP/Seto Wardhana)

The Jakarta Council is prepared to recommend an increase in the MRT development budget after councilors visited the first phase of the project in Lebak Bulus, South Jakarta.

“When they asked us to [financially] support the project, we first needed to evaluate it ourselves because the requested amount is not small,” said City Council Speaker Prasetyo Edi Marsudi on Monday, as quoted by tribunnews.com 

The first phase of the MRT project, connecting Lebak Bulus Terminal and the Hotel Indonesia Traffic Circle, requires an additional Rp 2.56 trillion (US$191 million) to expedite completion of the project. At present, around 75 percent of the first phase has been completed.

City-owned company MRT Jakarta recorded that available funds for the first phase of the project amounted to Rp 14.18 trillion, while it needs up to Rp 16 trillion.

In addition to increased funds for the first phase, the company has asked for an additional Rp 22.5 trillion for the second phase, which connects the HI Traffic Circle with Kampung Bandan. The MRT is targeted to be operational in March 2019.

The financing of the MRT project consists of 49 percent from the central government and the remaining 51 percent on loans from Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).

“We will hold a meeting with MRT Jakarta at city council headquarters soon to discuss details,” Prasetyo said. (wnd/yan)

Topics :

Join the discussions