IBM Indonesia shifts focus to cognitive systems
The Jakarta Post
US technology giant IBM has decided to shift its business focus in Indonesia to cognitive solutions and cloud platform technology through Watson, a supercomputer that combines artificial intelligence (AI) and analytical software for optimal performance as a “question answering” machine.
Through the first IBM Indonesia Watson Summit held in Jakarta on Tuesday, IBM intended to become a pioneer in introducing the use of AI in solving business-related issues, said IBM Indonesia president director Gunawan Susanto.
“Watson is able to interpret dark data and to process them as recommendations in solving business problems,” said Gunawan.
Dark data consists of archival data from documents, pictures and videos unable to be interpreted by common computing tools.
Gunawan added that 80 percent of data on the web was dark data.
IBM had previously focused on building software and hardware infrastructure in Indonesia, but it had decided to shift to the new technology because of its great potential, he said.
“Currently, there is little to no market in Indonesia for this kind of product, but we believe if we don’t start [promoting the technology] now, somebody else will,” said Gunawan.
“That is why we are currently investing a lot in educating businesspeople about cognitive business solutions and cloud platform technology,” he added.
With the shift in business focus, IBM Indonesia expected to see double-digit growth in its revenues, Gunawan said, but declined to provide a growth estimate. (dea/bbn)
- Golkar to announce candidates for 2018 regional elections this month
- SM Entertainment releases statement over Taeyeon's airport incident
- 'Wiro Sableng 212' strives to define Indonesian films
- Rizieq wants to go home after being questioned in Saudi
- Jokowi signs election bill into law
- Anambas Islands to finish airport expansion in September
- SEA Games Malaysia: Agus Prayogo wins men’s marathon silver
- Prison expansion sought to solve overcrowding problem
- TNI commander Gatot moves closer to Muslim groups
- Lombok to host Ampenan Old Town Cultural Festival