Eaglet hatches at Taman Safari
The Jakarta Post
A Javan hawk-eagle chick has hatched at the breeding area of the Indonesian endemic species at Taman Safari Indonesia (TSI) in Bogor, West Java.
The eaglet hatched from one of the five eggs laid since the TSI team repaired the species’ breeding cage in 2015. The four previous eggs failed to hatch for a variety of reasons.
Both TSI board of directors and keepers have discussed measures they will take to rear the young eagle, which hatched on July 19.
“The team noted that on the second day, the mother fed its offspring with chopped meat routinely. But, in the third day, it stopped feeding the eaglet. This was why TSI decided to place the care of the baby Javan hawk-eagle in the hands of the bird nursery team,” the TSI management said in a statement on Thursday.
The Javan hawk-eagle is now being treated in a brooder with a temperature of between 31-33 degrees Celsius and a humidity level of 45-55 percent. The primary food of the eagle is mice.
“The TSI team uses a robe and a mother eagle-like effigy each time it feeds the chick in the hope its natural behavior will be maintained and it won’t depend on humans,” it further said.
The Javan hawk-eagle is an iconic Indonesia species. Considered a rare and endangered species, the eagle is included in the government’s wildlife-conservation program. (ebf)
A Javan hawk-eagle feeds its offspring in a breeding cage at Taman Safari Indonesia in Bogor, West Java. (Courtesy of Taman Safari Indonesia/File)
- UK's official Brexit campaign fined, referred to police
- Local residents slaughter 292 crocodiles in Sorong farm
- Government oversells PT Freeport Indonesia agreement
- Indonesia among world’s less stressed countries
- A guide to understanding the Freeport divestment deal
- Three candidates for Pertamina CEO submitted to President
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia, India sign business-to-business agreement on palm oil
- Blitar bans school from giving students homework
- 'Language is my ultimate weapon': Ivan Lanin