Singer Ello arrested for alleged marijuana possession
The Jakarta Post
The South Jakarta Police have arrested singer Marcello "Ello" Tahitoe, 34, in Jagakarsa, South Jakarta, for alleged marijuana possession, adding to the number of celebrities arrested for alleged drug abuse.
Ello was arrested on Sunday alongside another man whose identity was unknown, South Jakarta Police chief Sr. Comr. Iwan Kurniawan said.
“They were caught with a bag of marijuana in Jagakarsa, South Jakarta,” he said as quoted by kompas.com.
The police, having yet to reveal details of the case, said they would hold a press conference regarding the matter.
Marcello, who rose to fame with his hit single “Pergi Untuk Kembali” (Leave to Return) in 2008, a remake of a song of the same name, adds to the growing list of celebrities arrested for alleged drug abuse.
The South Jakarta Police arrested a celebrity couple, actor Tora Sudiro and soap opera star Mieke Amalia, on Aug. 3 for alleged possession of Dumolid sedative pills.
The head of the South Jakarta Police drug unit, Comr. Vivick Tjangkung, previously said that South Jakarta was an area with a high prevalence of drug use.
Her unit had conducted raids in kos-kosan (rented houses), apartments and cafes to stop the distribution of drugs in the area, she said.
Jakarta is the province with the highest number of cases of drug abuse and drug trafficking as the demand for drugs in Greater Jakarta is the highest among all provinces, according to the National Narcotics Agency (BNN). (Cal)
- Barack Obama returns to the political arena
- Survey finds Jakarta among world’s worst for women
- Marinda airport in Raja Ampat set to become international airport
- More drug dealers to be shot dead: BNN chief
- Across Asia, liver cancer is linked to herbal remedies: Study
- Airline, bank reach for the sky with e-money
- EDITORIAL: Jokowi grows on the job
- Preventing osteoporosis: How to boost bone health
- North Jakarta group cancels Alexis Hotel protest
- Philippines to reject EU aid: Duterte