25,000 tons of Australian salt arrives
The Jakarta Post
Twenty-five thousand tons of the total 75,000 tons of salt to be imported from Australia has started arriving on Thursday at Ciwandan Port in Banten.
The government has decided to split the entry of the imported salt among the three ports of Ciwandan, Tanjung Perak in Surabaya and Belawan in Medan, the head of the Trade Ministry's Directorate General for Overseas Trade, Oke Nurwan, said on Thursday.
Meanwhile, state-owned salt company PT Garam president director Dolly Parlagutan confirmed that additional shipments of imported salt from Australia would arrive at Tanjung Perak port on Friday.Read also: Indonesia to import 75,000 tons of salt from Australia
“The MV Golden Kiku vessel will arrive at Tanjung Perak port at 6.00 p.m. on Friday, carrying 27,500 tons of salt,” said Dolly.
The final vessel, the MV Uni Challenge, was scheduled to arrive at Belawan port on August 21, transporting 22,500 tons of salt.
Oke said the salt import would not impact local production, as the decision to import salt had been thoroughly studied.
“The Imports will not disturb domestic salt production and the [salt] demand will be met. This has been arranged since the beginning. That is why we imported [only] 75,000 tons, while demand stands at 100,000 tons,” he said, as quoted by kompas.com.
PT Garam, which the government has appointed as the exclusive importer of the salt, will distribute the imported salt to factories for processing into edible salt.
Trade Minister Enggartiasto Lukita had said earlier that the 75,000 tons of imported Australian salt would fulfil domestic demand until local salt farmers were able to produce a harvest. (mrc/bbn)
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official
- Government to issue new regulation on coal permits
- JT610 victim's bride takes wedding photo shoot without groom
- Associate of close Trump adviser expects to be indicted by Mueller
- Garuda to reopen Jakarta-London route
- University student ‘pseudo poll’: LGBT behavior caused by keeping wrong company...
- Garuda Indonesia records best OTP in Asia Pacific