Jakarta Post

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Video Weather icon 30°C
DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
30°C Partly Cloudy

Dry and mostly cloudy throughout the day.

  • Wed

    26℃ - 32℃

  • Thu

    25℃ - 32℃

  • Fri

    25℃ - 31℃

  • Sat

    26℃ - 30℃

Kyrgios fined for storming off court in Shanghai

  •  

    Agence France-Presse

Shanghai, China | Wed, October 11, 2017 | 05:31 pm
Kyrgios fined for storming off court in Shanghai Nick Kyrgios of Australia hits a return during the men's singles against Steve Johnson of America at the Shanghai Masters tennis tournament in Shanghai on Oct. 10, 2017. (Agence France -Presse/Chandan Kanna)

Temperamental Australian Nick Kyrgios was fined $10,000 and lost another $21,085 in prize money on Wednesday after storming off midway through his first-round match in Shanghai, tennis officials said.

And the 22-year-old, for whom this was just the latest in a string of controversies, could yet face further punishment from the ATP after it fined Kyrgios for unsportsmanlike conduct.

A spokesman for the body said Kyrgios was also not allowed to collect his prize money for taking part in the tournament because he failed to get signed off for a medical afterwards to prove he was unwell or hurt.

Kyrgios, whose Shanghai Masters is over after he also pulled out of his scheduled doubles match with Frenchman Lucas Pouille on Wednesday, apologized after walking off court on Tuesday after losing the first-set tie break to the American Steve Johnson. 

In a statement posted on Twitter a few hours later he said that he had a "stomach bug" and had hurt his shoulder. The tweet later appeared to have been deleted.

The world number 21 rowed with spectators and was accused of giving away points in a defeat at the same Shanghai event last year.

The fiery Kyrgios was consequently suspended and his immediate future in tennis is again under threat following Tuesday's incident, when he hastily exited the court with jeers and boos ringing in his ears.

It came after he complained about the umpire and spectators in the arena, and was docked a point penalty for the second match running because of his conduct, which included blasting a ball out of the court in a flash of rage.

"What's happening here?" he asked, seemingly irritated by spectators moving around between points in the tie break.

"Exactly why I shouldn't come here," he muttered.

Kyrgios appeared to blame the umpire for failing to get the spectators in line and his afternoon spiraled fast when he received a point penalty.

"Poor officiating again," Kyrgios complained, and added: "Sick of this place."

Read also: Nadal punishes Kyrgios to win China Open

Join the discussions