Indonesia, Romania start talks to boost economic ties
The Jakarta Post
Indonesia and Romania have agreed to start negotiations to increase their economic relations, said Trade Minister Enggartiasto Lukita in Tangerang, Banten on Friday.
An agreement on free trade or a comprehensive economic partnership will be discussed.
“This year, we’ll start [the negotiation] focusing on trade in goods. Regarding the form of the agreement, my officials will talk about it later,” he said after meeting with Romania state secretary for foreign investment Paula Pirvanescu on the sidelines of the 2017 Trade Expo Indonesia at the Indonesia Convention Exhibition (ICE) BSD on Friday.Read also: Indonesia, Turkey sign joint cooperation to boost bilateral trade
Indonesia exported US$92.4 million worth of goods to Romania last year and imported $42.07 million. The exports were dominated by rubber, electronics, paper, plastic and palm oil, while the imports were dominated by cereals, machinery, aircraft spare parts and clothing.
The European counterpart wished to import more raw cosmetic materials like palm oil, said Enggartiasto, adding that other commodities that could also be exported to the country included processed coconut and soaps.
The possible establishment of a joint venture company in Indonesia to produce soap or cosmetics was also being discussed, he added. Romania also asked Indonesia to send more managerial people to work there and invited local construction firms to participate in infrastructure construction there. (bbn)
- Some countries buying Russian gear deserve sanctions waivers: Mattis
- Trump targeted by G-20 as leaders push back on combative tweets
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Thousands protest Australia's refugee detention policy
- Supreme Court to decide on UK-Scotland Brexit standoff
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Jakpost guide to Pasar Modern Bintaro
- Jambi girl imprisoned for abortion after being raped by brother
- This is why you’re sweating during sleep
- One dead, suspect surrenders after US supermarket hostage drama