FIFA conveys its condolences over Choirul’s death
The Jakarta Post
FIFA has conveyed its condolences over the death of Indonesian goalkeeper Choirul Huda, who died in an on-field incident during a match on Sunday.
Through its official Twitter account @FIFAcom, the highest world soccer authority posted a picture of Choirul, accompanied by the tweet: “Tragic news in Indonesia today, after popular goalkeeper Choirul Huda passed away following an on-field collision. Our sincere condolences to Choirul's family and his club and fans in Indonesia.”
Choirul fell unconscious after a collision with his teammate Ramon Rodrigues in the 44th minute of the Liga 1 match between his team, Lamongan FC, and Semen Padang FC at Surajaya Stadium, Lamongan, on Sunday.
In the accident, Rodrigues’ knee reportedly hit Choirul’s chest when they both tried to stop the ball from going into the goal. Choirul was evacuated to Soegiri Hospital, Lamongan, for treatment but the 38-year-old goalkeeper died from severe head and neck trauma.
Meanwhile, Lamongan Regent Fadeli said Choirul deserved to receive the title of hero, and he had been loyal to his club until his death, despite many offers during his career as a footballer.
Fadeli said many people had asked him to make a statue of Choirul with other symbols in memory of the goalkeeper’s loyalty to Persela FC.
“He is a fighter, a hero and a legend. No wonder many people have since demanded that a statue of him be erected,” he said on Monday to BolaSport.com.
Choirul was buried on Sunday evening in Pagerwojo cemetery near his house on Jalan Basuki Rahmat in Lamongan, East Java. (dra)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- First to red planet will become Martians: Canada astronaut
- Police probe new drug rape claims against US doctor, girlfriend
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas