Nganjuk regent named bribery suspect, again
The Jakarta Post
The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has named Taufiqurrahman, the regent of Nganjuk, East Java, a bribery suspect related to the rotation of officials in the regency administration.
“We suspected that the regent had been accepting illicit money from several officials for a long time through his confidants regarding the matter,” KPK deputy chairwoman Basaria Panjaitan said during a press conference on Thursday.
In addition to the regent, two other people have also been named suspects for allegedly accepting bribes. They are Nganjuk Education Agency head Ibnu Hajar and Suwandi, a junior high school headmaster.
The KPK also named two other people suspects in the case for allegedly giving the bribes. They are the Nganjuk administration’s Environment Agency head Harjanto and Mokhammad Bisri, an official at Nganjuk Regional General Hospital.
KPK investigators arrested Taufiqurrahman in Jakarta on Wednesday after he had attended a meeting between President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo and regional heads at the State Palace the previous day.
Basaria said the investigators had seized Rp 298 million (US$21,935) during the arrest.
This is the second time the KPK has named the regent a graft suspect. He was named a suspect last December for allegedly being involved in graft pertaining to construction projects in the regency in 2009.
Taufiqurrahman won a pretrial motion at the South Jakarta District Court in March, prompting the KPK to hand over the case to the Attorney General’s Office. (ebf)
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- UK visa requirements relaxed for Indonesian students
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...
- We deserve more choices
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Intel CEO resigns after probe of relationship with employee
- Number missing in Indonesia ferry disaster jumps again to 192: official
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- Handgun found in bin at Soekarno-Hatta airport