Anies to create walk of fame
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan has said sidewalks along the city’s main thoroughfares of Jl. Sudirman and Jl. MH Thamrin will be designed like a walk of fame featuring athletes with major achievements. The walk of fame will tell the story of the athletes.
"The walk of fame means there will be [placards with] names of athletes, especially around Senayan. The names of those who have made a name for Indonesia will have a place there, along with the story of their achievements," Anies said Thursday as quoted by kompas.com.
He said the athletes could interact with pedestrians at certain times, adding that the city administration would arrange interaction times.
Anies has instructed his subordinates to change the design of the long-planned sidewalk development to welcome the Asian Games next year, as he wants motorcyclists to also be able to use the roads. Anies has announced he will scrap the ban on motorcycles on Jl. MH Thamrin, which has been in place since 2014.
Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno previously said that accomplished athletes should perform attractions on the sidewalks of the two roads. There was also a suggestion that a cultural spot should be established along the sidewalks so Jakarta could be a national cultural storefront.
Anies said he would reveal the design once it was completed. (wnd)
- GenPI West Sumatra to host Siti Nurbaya Market
- Don't be afraid to come to Bali: Minister
- Indonesia Tempeh Movement's Amadeus gives talk at Harvard Business School
- Jokowi appoints Robert Pakpahan as new tax chief
- 'Real Bali' as Western construct: Rethinking tourism's 'ruination' of Bali
- Anies invited to ‘anti-Ahok’ 212 Rally Alumni gathering
- Drone flown over Mount Agung to detect volcanic activity
- Indonesia, South Korea initiate plan to develop electric car battery
- Researchers spot interstellar visitor
- How social media is polarizing politics