Jakarta to have Betawi batik production center
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta will establish a batik production center in Srengseng subdistrict in West Jakarta, where Betawi cultural heritage will become the feature of production.
Surrounded by an urban forest and strong cultural heritage of batik, Srengseng has huge potential to attract tourists, said West Jakarta Tourism and Culture Agency head Linda Enriany.
"Presently, Betawi batik is made in areas outside Jakarta, such as in Bekasi in West Java and Central Java. [In Srengseng] it's going to be the real Betawi batik, made by local artists," Linda told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.
The batik designs will feature symbols of Srengseng, such as the orchid and betta fish, as well as general Betawi cultural symbols like ondel-ondel (giant effigies).
"We have proposed to the Jakarta administration to make [Srengseng] one of the city's leading destinations. The potential is there, we just need to improve the facilities," Linda said.
Athys Mayoshi, owner of Srengseng-based Batik Gobang workshop, said she had run her business since 2011 and received the acknowledgement of the Jakarta administration in 2015.
"We mix our batik features with images of Jakarta's flora and fauna. With 50 workers who are mostly housewives, we can produce around 500 pieces of Betawi batik per month," Athys said. (yon)
- Lake Toba to hold Gowes Samosir cycling event
- Karetan Market partners with waste management startup company
- Celebrity Fitri Carlina endorses Wonderful Indonesia, Banyuwangi tourism
- Block porn or be blocked, Indonesia warns Google, Twitter
- Tourism Ministry, KBRI promote five Indonesian destinations in Thailand
- West Papua to host Senja Kaimana Festival 2017
- Karetan Market holds vlog competition for visitors
- Facebook launches new ‘Facebook Creator’ app for video content creators
- Apple pushes back release of HomePod speaker to 2018
- East Java to host Situbondo Carnival