Jakarta to have Betawi batik production center
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta will establish a batik production center in Srengseng subdistrict in West Jakarta, where Betawi cultural heritage will become the feature of production.
Surrounded by an urban forest and strong cultural heritage of batik, Srengseng has huge potential to attract tourists, said West Jakarta Tourism and Culture Agency head Linda Enriany.
"Presently, Betawi batik is made in areas outside Jakarta, such as in Bekasi in West Java and Central Java. [In Srengseng] it's going to be the real Betawi batik, made by local artists," Linda told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.
The batik designs will feature symbols of Srengseng, such as the orchid and betta fish, as well as general Betawi cultural symbols like ondel-ondel (giant effigies).
"We have proposed to the Jakarta administration to make [Srengseng] one of the city's leading destinations. The potential is there, we just need to improve the facilities," Linda said.
Athys Mayoshi, owner of Srengseng-based Batik Gobang workshop, said she had run her business since 2011 and received the acknowledgement of the Jakarta administration in 2015.
"We mix our batik features with images of Jakarta's flora and fauna. With 50 workers who are mostly housewives, we can produce around 500 pieces of Betawi batik per month," Athys said. (yon)
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Obama dancing in Kenya sends world aflutter
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- China seizes 156 mammoth tusks in huge ivory haul
- S.Korean court hands former president Park another 8 years in jail
- Jambi girl imprisoned for abortion after being raped by brother
- 'Mass casualty incident' after Missouri tourist boat capsizes
- Former Hong Kong leader jailed again for misconduct
- Who is TGB, Jokowi’s strongest ally against sectarianism?