Jokowi to name to N-219 aircraft on National Heroes Day
The Jakarta Post
The technologically advanced N-219 aircraft, which was jointly built by state aircraft manufacturer PT Dirgantara Indonesia (PTDI) and the National Institute of Aeronautics and Space (LAPAN), will be given a name soon.
PTDI production director Arie Wibowo said President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo was scheduled to name the aircraft during National Heroes Day celebrations at Halim Perdanakusuma Air Force Base in Jakarta on Friday.
“We have held a rehearsal for the naming ceremony,” said Arie in a statement on Thursday.
In preparation for the ceremony, the N-219 conducted its seventh test flight from Husein Sastranegara Airport in Bandung to Jakarta on Wednesday. The flight was piloted by Capt. Esther Gayatri Saleh.
A navigation system check was conducted after its sixth test flight on Nov.6.
“We did it to make sure that all avionics, communications and navigation systems as well as other instruments in the aircraft are functioning,” said PTDI legal and public relations manager Irlan Budiman.
PTDI hoped that the aircraft would get a type certificate from the Transportation Ministry next year and after that a production certificate. “The first N-219 aircraft will be ready to enter the market in 2019,” Irlan said.
The aircraft successfully conducted its first flight on Aug.16. (ebf)
Airworthy: The N-219 aircraft lands on the runway at Husein Sastranegara Air Force Base in Bandung, West Java, after it undergoes a flying test on Aug.16. (JP/Arya Dipa)
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- UK visa requirements relaxed for Indonesian students
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...
- We deserve more choices
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Intel CEO resigns after probe of relationship with employee
- Number missing in Indonesia ferry disaster jumps again to 192: official
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- Handgun found in bin at Soekarno-Hatta airport