Jakarta Post

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
Video Weather icon 30°C
DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
30°C Partly Cloudy

Dry and mostly cloudy throughout the day.

  • Wed

    26℃ - 32℃

  • Thu

    25℃ - 32℃

  • Fri

    25℃ - 31℃

  • Sat

    26℃ - 30℃

Foreign fighters 'could' have escaped Syria's Raqa: coalition

  • News Desk

    AFP

Washington DC | Wed, November 15, 2017 | 05:17 am
Foreign fighters 'could' have escaped Syria's Raqa: coalition A Syrian pro-government forces member flashes the sign for victory as he patrols in the eastern city of Deir Ezzor on Nov. 4, 2017. Syrian and allied forces converged on holdout Islamic State group fighters in the Syrian border town of Albu Kamal, the jihadists' very last urban bastion following a string of losses. On Nov. 3, Russian-backed Syrian regime forces took full control of Deir Ezzor, which was the last city where IS still had a presence after being expelled from Hawija and Raqa last month (Agence France-Presse/Stringer)

Foreign fighters from the Islamic State group may have escaped the Syrian city of Raqa shortly before its recapture, the spokesman for the US-led coalition against the jihadists said Tuesday.

The US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) said that more than 3,000 civilians had evacuated the city on October 14 under a deal negotiated between officials from the Raqa Civil Council and Syrian IS fighters, days before victory over the jihadists was declared.

The coalition said at the time that it was "very adamant" that foreign IS fighters not be allowed to leave Raqa, but the BBC reported Monday that hundreds of IS fighters, including foreigners, as well as arms and ammunition, had been transported out of Raqa in a massive convoy assembled on October 12.

Coalition spokesman Colonel Ryan Dillon told reporters that "out of the 3,500 civilians that came out of... Raqa at that time, approximately less than 300 were identified and screened as potential (IS) fighters."

"In the course of that screening, there were four foreign fighters that were identified and were detained by the Syrian Democratic Forces," he said.

Dillon said that the agreement with the SDF was that the photos and fingerprints of all men of fighting age would be checked to prevent known jihadists from escaping, but that "I can't say with a 100 percent certainty that every single fighter was identified coming out of Raqa."

"Whether or not there were some of these fighters that were... able to move in with the civilians or as a local (IS) affiliate, that... could have been the case," he said.

When the convoy left Raqa, it was tracked by coalition drones, but the decision was made not to strike it due to the presence of civilians, Dillon said.

IS lost control of Raqa -- once its primary Syrian bastion -- on October 17 after a monthslong battle with the SDF, the latest in a long series of defeats suffered by the jihadist group.

Join the discussions