Anies officially opens Monas for public activities
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan has officially opened the park around the National Monument (Monas) in Central Jakarta for public activities.
After issuing Gubernatorial Decree (Pergub) No. 186/2017, that revises Pergub No. 160/2017 on the Management of the National Monument, Monas can now be used for educational, social, cultural and religious activities.
“We want people to use the space optimally and they can conveniently hold activities at Monas,” Anies said on Sunday.
The regulation stipulates that any activities involving large numbers of people should first obtain a permit from the governor and a recommendation from a team consisting of joint working units from the Jakarta administration, the State Secretariat, the Jakarta Police, Jakarta's Military commander and other local leaders.
“These people will assess whether a proposed activity can be carried out at Monas. This team will then give a recommendation to the governor whether permission should be given or not,” he added.
Anies said he wanted to keep the Monas area organized. "If we institutionalize [the management of the area], there will be an open, transparent process that can be assessed and managed by an established team," he explained.
Anies guaranteed that all cultures and religions can use the area. "When we talk about culture, we are talking about all cultures, and when we talk about religion, we are talking about all religions." (dis/wit)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- No nutrients lost in rendang despite long cooking period, research says
- Bali authority denies report on JE viral infection outbreak
- Basarnas ends search for Lion Air crash victims
- Anti-LGBT sentiment rises ahead of elections
- Lion Air crash: 'I’m sure dad could swim his way out and survive the crash'
- Singapore Airlines to move to Soekarno-Hatta airport Terminal 3
- When Jokowi’s ‘other women’ let their hair down
- 5 ways to increase your lung capacity