Jambi bribery witness returns money to KPK
The Jakarta Post
A witnesses in a bribery case related to the deliberation of the 2018 Jambi draft regional budget (RAPBD) has returned a portion of the bribe money to the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK).
Several Jambi administration officials have been accused of bribing a Jambi Legislative Council (DPRD) member to ensure council members’ attendance in a draft budget deliberation meeting.
“Our investigators have received [bribery] money from an individual related to the case,” KPK spokesperson Febri Diansyah said as quoted by kompas.com in Jakarta on Saturday. “This could become a mitigating factor in the case.”
The officials allegedly involved in the investigation are: acting Jambi regional secretary Erwan Malik, Jambi third regional assistant Saipudin and acting Jambi Public Works Agency head Arfan.
Meanwhile, DPRD Jambi member Supriono stands accused of accepting the kickbacks.
As earlier reported, KPK found Rp 4.7 billion (US$ 347,330) in bribe money during a recent sting operation.
KPK investigators said the funds were intended for members of the Jambi Legislative Council, to ensure that they would approve the province’s 2018 draft regional budget.
It was reported that several council members planned to skip the budget approval meeting because there was no “guarantee” from the Jambi administration.
The “guarantee” here refers to bribe money, which is often called uang ketok (approval money). (ami/ebf)
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Saudi woman's case against father stirs 'guardianship' debate
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Russia warns US it is 'playing with fire' with sanctions
- Land owners unseal 46 schools after promise to hire them as civil servants
- Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang dead at 61: State media
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world