Marcus and Kevin, Tontowi and Liliyana reach Dubai semifinals
The Jakarta Post
Indonesia saw two of its badminton pairs advance in the season's final tournament, with men's doubles favorites Marcus Fernaldi Gideon and Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo and mixed doubles pair Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir having secured semifinal spots in the 2017 BWF Dubai World Superseries Finals.
In the semifinals on Saturday, world number one pair Marcus and Kevin will face Japan’s Takeshi Kamura and Keigo Sonoda, whom they lost to in their opening match of the group stage.
“I see all semifinalists as equals. I hope we can deliver a better [result], after learning from our last meeting,” Kevin said as quoted by badmintonindonesia.org.
Marcus and Kevin, the favored men’s doubles pair in the US$1 million tournament, were forced to fight through the group stage, recording two wins and a loss.
The Indonesians won a crucial final match in Group A on Friday against China’s Li Junhui and Liu Yuchen 21-16, 14-21, 21-15 to earn the second spot in the group and advance to the semifinals.
In mixed doubles, Tontowi and Liliyana also finished the group stage as runner-ups after beating China’s Wang Yilyu and Huang Dongping in Group B's final round-robin match. Like their compatriots, the 2017 World Championship winners also gained a win in their first match before suffering a loss in their second.
Tontowi and Liliyana will face top seeds China’s Zheng Siwei and Chen Qingchen in their semifinals clash on Saturday.
“We must play our best because the semifinals have a different atmosphere. Good communication will be key,” said Liliyana. (nkn)
- BI investigates use of bitcoin in Bali
- President Jokowi purchases custom motorcycle, boosts local businesses
- Uber, Grab to adjust with new decree
- Indonesia expects to pass data protection bill in 2018
- Ed Sheeran announces engagement
- Several Ukrainians among 18 dead in Taliban attack on Kabul hotel
- Man shot dead in night club's parking lot in Bogor
- Sundance debuts dark tale of triplets split at birth
- Fashion brand celebrates third anniversary by cleaning Baduy tribal areas
- Patek Philippe’s Calatrava Ref. 6006G: where graphic elegance meets ultra-thin design