Mount Agung erupts, spewing ash to Tulamben, Kubu
The Jakarta Post
Mount Agung erupted again on 10:05 a.m. on Sunday, spewing ash 2,500 meters above its peak, heading northeast.
It was the latest in a series of eruptions that have occurred since Saturday. The ash covered several areas near the volcano’s slope, like Tulamben and Kubu.
The National Disaster Mitigation Agency's (BNPB) spokesman, Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, said the eruption lasted for 10 minutes and did not seem to disrupt the residents' daily activities around the volcano.
“People did not panic; they enjoyed the view of the eruption instead,” he said as quoted by antaranews.com, adding that people around Mt. Agung are knowledgeable enough to understand signs of an eruption.
In addition, based on the Volcano Observatory Notice for Aviation (VONA) code, Sutopo has ensured that flights at Ngurah Rai Airport and Lombok International Airport would be carried out according to the schedule.
The Volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation Center (PVMBG) said Mt. Agung was still at level 4 alert status, specifically for areas within a radius of 8 to 10 kilometers.
Although President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo had decided to revoke the alert status, the government would not stop or alleviate the delivery of aid to residents in the evacuation centers. The government has prepared regulations to ease administrative needs, logistics aid and the flow of the money to help the evacuees.
“Bali is safe and normal. The number of tourists is increasing,” he said. (vla/wit)
- Japan to offer e-visa to tourists starting April 2020
- Meikarta graft case: KPK searches residence of Lippo Group CEO James Riady
- Arsonist sentenced to 24 years for Texas mosque burning
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Latest list of Michelin stars in Seoul released
- Indonesia’s competitiveness improves, but still well below Singapore, Malaysia
- Teen arrested for alleged rape of young earthquake survivor
- Indonesian religious minister denounces LGBT, but calls for people’s empathy
- Rupiah projected at Rp 15,000 per US dollar in 2019 state budget
- Lippo Group executive arrested in Meikarta bribery case