Mount Agung erupts, spewing ash to Tulamben, Kubu
The Jakarta Post
Mount Agung erupted again on 10:05 a.m. on Sunday, spewing ash 2,500 meters above its peak, heading northeast.
It was the latest in a series of eruptions that have occurred since Saturday. The ash covered several areas near the volcano’s slope, like Tulamben and Kubu.
The National Disaster Mitigation Agency's (BNPB) spokesman, Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, said the eruption lasted for 10 minutes and did not seem to disrupt the residents' daily activities around the volcano.
“People did not panic; they enjoyed the view of the eruption instead,” he said as quoted by antaranews.com, adding that people around Mt. Agung are knowledgeable enough to understand signs of an eruption.
In addition, based on the Volcano Observatory Notice for Aviation (VONA) code, Sutopo has ensured that flights at Ngurah Rai Airport and Lombok International Airport would be carried out according to the schedule.
The Volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation Center (PVMBG) said Mt. Agung was still at level 4 alert status, specifically for areas within a radius of 8 to 10 kilometers.
Although President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo had decided to revoke the alert status, the government would not stop or alleviate the delivery of aid to residents in the evacuation centers. The government has prepared regulations to ease administrative needs, logistics aid and the flow of the money to help the evacuees.
“Bali is safe and normal. The number of tourists is increasing,” he said. (vla/wit)
- Facebook says social media not always healthy for democracy
- Indonesia seeks immediate return of two fishermen released by Abu Sayyaf
- ‘Sungkyunkwan Scandal’ actor Jun Tae-soo dies
- 'Angkot' drivers protest Tanah Abang street closure
- EDITORIAL: Threat to Indonesian press
- US Defense Secretary Mattis holds meeting with Retno
- BI, government team up to control inflation
- Zero down-payment housing not for all: Sandiaga
- City plans to build permanent bridges in South Jakarta
- Shuttlers try newly renovated Istora stadium ahead of Indonesia Masters