Safety violations to blame for Pakubuwono construction accident
The Jakarta Post
The Manpower Ministry revealed on Thursday that the death of three workers during a structural collapse at an apartment construction site in Kebayoran Lama, South Jakarta, came as a result of safety violations.
During an inspection at the site of the accident, a team from the ministry found that the area underneath the concrete canopy that had collapsed at The Pakubuwono Spring apartment complex on Tuesday evening was supposed to be clear from any activities.
Herman Prakoso Hidayat, the ministry's occupational safety and health supervision director, said the apartment management team could be jailed for negligence since the accident resulted in three deaths.
He said that, during the accident, there were workers on top of the canopy who were developing a garden as well as workers under the canopy in the building's interior.
Herman said the ministry would take serious action following the completion of the inspection process.
The concrete canopy collapsed on Tuesday night, killing three construction workers and severely injuring three others. (dpk/wit)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Instagram co-founders step down from company: NYT
- China says can't hold US trade talks with 'knife to the throat'
- K-Pop stars BTS at UN urge world's youth to 'just speak yourself'
- 'Scandal' website portrays Sandiaga Uno as womanizer
- Iran in the spotlight as Trump, Rouhani set for UN clash
- The Indonesian kid who stirs the Hollywood Bowl: Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Transjakarta bus crashes to avoid hitting street sweeper