Safety violations to blame for Pakubuwono construction accident
The Jakarta Post
The Manpower Ministry revealed on Thursday that the death of three workers during a structural collapse at an apartment construction site in Kebayoran Lama, South Jakarta, came as a result of safety violations.
During an inspection at the site of the accident, a team from the ministry found that the area underneath the concrete canopy that had collapsed at The Pakubuwono Spring apartment complex on Tuesday evening was supposed to be clear from any activities.
Herman Prakoso Hidayat, the ministry's occupational safety and health supervision director, said the apartment management team could be jailed for negligence since the accident resulted in three deaths.
He said that, during the accident, there were workers on top of the canopy who were developing a garden as well as workers under the canopy in the building's interior.
Herman said the ministry would take serious action following the completion of the inspection process.
The concrete canopy collapsed on Tuesday night, killing three construction workers and severely injuring three others. (dpk/wit)
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- Tourism's fatal warning
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia lists 180 missing on doomed ferry, launches underwater search
- 8-meter python slain after swallowing woman in Southeast Sulawesi
- Search on for dozens missing in Indonesia ferry sinking
- Indonesia takes a bite out of food waste one wedding at a time
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- Taliban kill 30 soldiers in first major attack since ceasefire, governor says
- Commentary: Another side of the elderly: You reap what you sow