Gorontalo deputy mayor's wife arrested for alleged drug possession
Syamsul Huda M.Suhari
The Jakarta Post
The Gorontalo Drugs Agency arrested the wife of Gorontalo Deputy Mayor Charles Budi Doku for alleged possession of sabu-sabu (crystal methamphetamine) in a raid on Tuesday evening.
The wife, identified only as SD, was arrested in her friend’s room on Jl. HOS Cokroaminoto in Gorontalo city.
Agency personnel confiscated as evidence water bottles allegedly used as bongs, three packages of crystal meth, a straw, a lighter and several electronic gadgets.
“We had not measured the [amount of crystal meth] yet. It was probably half a gram,” BNP Gorontalo chief Brig. Gen. Oneng Iskandar said on Wednesday.
Based on urine tests, SD and her friend, who was also arrested, both tested positive for drugs, he added.
The agency detained the two suspects but had yet to question them as they were reportedly both in shock.
“They cried instantly when we [began to] question them. They needed to be accompanied by doctors,” Oneng said.
The suspects face charges of drug possession under the 2009 Drugs Law. If found guilty, they could face a maximum penalty of 12 years' imprisonment and up to Rp 8 billion (US$560,000) in fines.
Meanwhile, SD’s arrest could hurt her husband’s efforts to become re-elected. Charles was endorsed by a coalition comprising the Gerindra Party, the National Mandate Party, the Hanura Party and the NasDem Party as a candidate for deputy mayor alongside Adhan Dhambea in this year’s regional election.
Gerindra executive of the Goronotalo branch Elnino M. Hussein Mohi said the party would not tolerate drug abusers. It would meet with the other parties in the coalition to discuss political steps moving forward, he added.
- Amorous couples, sex workers whipped in Aceh
- Indonesia seeks to lure Chinese tourists to destinations outside Bali
- BREAKING: Government sacks Pertamina chief
- Google is Indonesia's powerful weapon in war on illegal fishing
- Rupiah weakens to almost Rp 13,900 against US dollar
- 'Islamization' of women's movement in Indonesia
- Dozens of Rohingya come ashore in Indonesia
- Two Palestinians killed by Israeli fire as Gaza protests dwindle
- Suzuki introduces second-generation Ertiga
- Malindo Air flight suffers runway excursion in Kathmandu