Grogol man arrested for trying to burn wife alive
The Jakarta Post
A man was arrested by the police on Tuesday night in Grogol, West Jakarta, for attempting to burn his wife alive during a domestic dispute.
According to West Jakarta Police general crimes head Comr. Adj. Rulian Syauri, the domestic dispute occurred after the man, identified as IA, accused his wife of cheating on him. Rulian said that IA believed that his wife, NI, was having an affair with another man and became furious when she denied the accusation.
“He poured a gasoline onto the victim’s body and threatened to burn her alive,” said Rulian. Fortunately, NI managed to escape to a nearby police post.
Rulian said that the couple fought frequently. The police also discovered that NI was physically abused by her husband when an inspection found bruises on the woman's body.
IA already has pleaded guilty to the police charge, and is awaiting investigation.
Rulian said the police were waiting for a confirmation from its Women and Children's Protection (PPA) unit to proceed with the investigation. (dpk)
- Amorous couples, sex workers whipped in Aceh
- Insight: Fair trade for palm oil, please!
- Indonesia seeks to lure Chinese tourists to destinations outside Bali
- Rupiah weakens to almost Rp 13,900 against US dollar
- Two Palestinians killed by Israeli fire as Gaza protests dwindle
- BREAKING: Government sacks Pertamina chief
- Suzuki introduces second-generation Ertiga
- Malindo Air flight suffers runway excursion in Kathmandu
- 'Islamization' of women's movement in Indonesia
- Prabowo's presidential bid hangs in the balance