PDI-P accepts Azwar Anas' withdrawal from East Java election
The Jakarta Post
Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) secretary-general Hasto Kristiyanto has met with party chairwoman Megawati Soekarnoputri to discuss Azwar Anas’s decision to drop out of the East Java gubernatorial race.
Hasto said the party had officially accepted Azwar’s withdrawal but had not yet decided who would replace him as Saifullah Yusuf’s running mate in the election.
“We have not discussed who will replace Azwar,” said Hasto on Saturday, as quoted by kompas.com.
Meanwhile, PDI-P executive board chairman Andreas Hugo Pareira said the party would hold discussions on a new candidate to run alongside Saifullah very soon, considering that the registration of candidates would begin on Monday.
“We have only just accepted Azwar’s withdrawal. [His replacement] is still being discussed,” Andreas told The Jakarta Post on Saturday. “Maybe in one or two days we will announce [the new candidate].”
Azwar has officially withdrawn his candidacy from the East Java gubernatorial election following the circulation of photographs allegedly showing him with an unidentified woman. (nmn/ahw)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Lippo's Karawaci flooded, Pejaten Village catches fire
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- US pilots say Boeing didn’t warn of 737 feature tied to crash
- Passenger demands window seat, gets amusing response from flight attendant
- 21 companies to relocate factories from Karawang over high wages
- Macron the latest US ally insulted by Trump