PDI-P accepts Azwar Anas' withdrawal from East Java election
The Jakarta Post
Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) secretary-general Hasto Kristiyanto has met with party chairwoman Megawati Soekarnoputri to discuss Azwar Anas’s decision to drop out of the East Java gubernatorial race.
Hasto said the party had officially accepted Azwar’s withdrawal but had not yet decided who would replace him as Saifullah Yusuf’s running mate in the election.
“We have not discussed who will replace Azwar,” said Hasto on Saturday, as quoted by kompas.com.
Meanwhile, PDI-P executive board chairman Andreas Hugo Pareira said the party would hold discussions on a new candidate to run alongside Saifullah very soon, considering that the registration of candidates would begin on Monday.
“We have only just accepted Azwar’s withdrawal. [His replacement] is still being discussed,” Andreas told The Jakarta Post on Saturday. “Maybe in one or two days we will announce [the new candidate].”
Azwar has officially withdrawn his candidacy from the East Java gubernatorial election following the circulation of photographs allegedly showing him with an unidentified woman. (nmn/ahw)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- First to red planet will become Martians: Canada astronaut
- Police probe new drug rape claims against US doctor, girlfriend
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas