PDI-P accepts Azwar Anas' withdrawal from East Java election
The Jakarta Post
Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) secretary-general Hasto Kristiyanto has met with party chairwoman Megawati Soekarnoputri to discuss Azwar Anas’s decision to drop out of the East Java gubernatorial race.
Hasto said the party had officially accepted Azwar’s withdrawal but had not yet decided who would replace him as Saifullah Yusuf’s running mate in the election.
“We have not discussed who will replace Azwar,” said Hasto on Saturday, as quoted by kompas.com.
Meanwhile, PDI-P executive board chairman Andreas Hugo Pareira said the party would hold discussions on a new candidate to run alongside Saifullah very soon, considering that the registration of candidates would begin on Monday.
“We have only just accepted Azwar’s withdrawal. [His replacement] is still being discussed,” Andreas told The Jakarta Post on Saturday. “Maybe in one or two days we will announce [the new candidate].”
Azwar has officially withdrawn his candidacy from the East Java gubernatorial election following the circulation of photographs allegedly showing him with an unidentified woman. (nmn/ahw)
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- UK visa requirements relaxed for Indonesian students
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...
- We deserve more choices
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Number missing in Indonesia ferry disaster jumps again to 192: official
- Handgun found in bin at Soekarno-Hatta airport
- US centers force migrant children to take drugs -lawsuit
- Traveler forgets father at rest stop upon return from Lebaran holiday