PDI-P accepts Azwar Anas' withdrawal from East Java election
The Jakarta Post
Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) secretary-general Hasto Kristiyanto has met with party chairwoman Megawati Soekarnoputri to discuss Azwar Anas’s decision to drop out of the East Java gubernatorial race.
Hasto said the party had officially accepted Azwar’s withdrawal but had not yet decided who would replace him as Saifullah Yusuf’s running mate in the election.
“We have not discussed who will replace Azwar,” said Hasto on Saturday, as quoted by kompas.com.
Meanwhile, PDI-P executive board chairman Andreas Hugo Pareira said the party would hold discussions on a new candidate to run alongside Saifullah very soon, considering that the registration of candidates would begin on Monday.
“We have only just accepted Azwar’s withdrawal. [His replacement] is still being discussed,” Andreas told The Jakarta Post on Saturday. “Maybe in one or two days we will announce [the new candidate].”
Azwar has officially withdrawn his candidacy from the East Java gubernatorial election following the circulation of photographs allegedly showing him with an unidentified woman. (nmn/ahw)
- Thousands sign petition against sentence for Malaysian who abused maid
- Bottled water meets quality standards: BPOM
- Saudi Arabia beheads Indonesian worker despite Jokowi’s pleas for clemency
- Four-meter snake found in West Jakarta restaurant
- US, Japan assist South Korea on historic summits with North Korea
- Anies issues regulation simplifying process of shutting down entertainment spots
- No condoms or cigarettes sold at Muslim convenience store in Depok
- Residents clash with police personnel in land execution in C. Sulawesi
- Singapore Airlines warns customers against air tickets scam
- Earthquake strikes Banten, tremors felt in Jakarta