Fears law will allow House to silence critics
Nurul Fitri Ramadhani and Kharishar Kahfi
The Jakarta Post
Lawmakers have passed a contentious amendment that critics fear will stifle democratic debate in the country.
Through an amendment to the 2014 Legislative Institutions Law, also known as the MD3 Law, passed during a House of Representatives plenary session on Monday, the House agreed to the creation of an additional authority activists believe will enable lawmakers to silence their critics...
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Obama dancing in Kenya sends world aflutter
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- Jambi girl imprisoned for abortion after being raped by brother
- China seizes 156 mammoth tusks in huge ivory haul
- S.Korean court hands former president Park another 8 years in jail
- 'Mass casualty incident' after Missouri tourist boat capsizes
- Former Hong Kong leader jailed again for misconduct
- Who is TGB, Jokowi’s strongest ally against sectarianism?