2018 election candidates in KPK’s crosshairs
The Jakarta Post
Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) chairman Agus Rahardjo says his side is paying close attention to a number of candidates participating in the 2018 simultaneous regional elections on account of graft accusations.
“There is strong indication that several candidates participating in the upcoming regional elections have been involved in corruption,” he said in Jakarta on Tuesday.
Agus said among candidates the KPK was focusing on were seeking reelection or higher positions. He, however, refused to disclose further information about the candidates. “We are silently monitoring lots of places, not only in Java,” he said.
As of Tuesday, the KPK had arrested five regional election candidates for their alleged involvement in graft. Southeast Sulawesi gubernatorial candidate Asrun was the latest candidate arrested by the antigraft body on March 1.
The KPK arrested the former Kendari mayor along with his son Adriatma Dwi Putra, who serves as the current Kendari mayor, for allegedly accepting Rp 2.8 billion (US$203,280) in bribes. (ebf)
- Saudi Arabia's jailed trailblazers
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Three foreign tourists rescued after failed fishing trip in Aceh
- Indonesia poised to benefit as China's Belt and Road turns green
- Suspected terrorist shot dead in Pamanukan for resisting arrest
- Mexico caught up in victorious jumble of joy
- At midnight, Riyadh erupts in cheers for a woman in a car
- US Navy planning new camps to support immigration crackdown: Report
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- 5 wall shelf design ideas for small spaces