Sandiaga Uno wants Brad Pitt ‘ondel-ondel’ for Asian Games
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno has expressed his wish for more diversity in ondel-ondel (giant Betawi effigies) during the 2018 Asian Games to be held in August.
Sandiaga said on Monday that the ondel-ondel should not be limited to the three 2018 Asian Games mascots, Atung, Bhin-Bhin and Kaka.
“We could use iconic and interesting ondel-ondel, such as Brad Pitt, Tom Hanks or Ryan Gosling. For the ladies, we can have one like Raisa,” said Sandiaga, as quoted by tempo.co, noting that an entrepreneur coached by the One District One Center of Entrepreneurship (OK-OCE) program could create ondel-ondel in the likeness of celebrities, even though such ondel-ondel may take longer to create.
The deputy governor was unsure whether such creations would involve royalty payments, saying small and medium enterprises (SMEs) should be given leniency.
According to Sandiaga, only 20 percent of Jakartans are familiar with the Asian Games, and the public would take greater interest in the event if the ondel-ondel were as heavily promoted as the mascots. (jlm)
- Ten diaspora restaurants set to promote Indonesian tourism
- Apple tries to win back students and teachers with low-cost iPad
- Bali-based band Navicula bassist in hospital, girlfriend dies after car accident
- Ryanair to launch flights to Ukraine from October
- Indonesia, Singapore lead deep-sea expedition to West Java
- 13 Indonesian airports join Earth Hour campaign
- Two dead as suspected IS gunman takes hostages in France
- Syahrini responds to backlash over Holocaust Memorial video
- Human-like calf stuns Gorontalo residents
- Prosecutors demand 7 years for suspect in Cikupa persecution case