Sandiaga Uno wants Brad Pitt ‘ondel-ondel’ for Asian Games
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno has expressed his wish for more diversity in ondel-ondel (giant Betawi effigies) during the 2018 Asian Games to be held in August.
Sandiaga said on Monday that the ondel-ondel should not be limited to the three 2018 Asian Games mascots, Atung, Bhin-Bhin and Kaka.
“We could use iconic and interesting ondel-ondel, such as Brad Pitt, Tom Hanks or Ryan Gosling. For the ladies, we can have one like Raisa,” said Sandiaga, as quoted by tempo.co, noting that an entrepreneur coached by the One District One Center of Entrepreneurship (OK-OCE) program could create ondel-ondel in the likeness of celebrities, even though such ondel-ondel may take longer to create.
The deputy governor was unsure whether such creations would involve royalty payments, saying small and medium enterprises (SMEs) should be given leniency.
According to Sandiaga, only 20 percent of Jakartans are familiar with the Asian Games, and the public would take greater interest in the event if the ondel-ondel were as heavily promoted as the mascots. (jlm)
- Saudi Arabia's jailed trailblazers
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Three foreign tourists rescued after failed fishing trip in Aceh
- Indonesia poised to benefit as China's Belt and Road turns green
- Suspected terrorist shot dead in Pamanukan for resisting arrest
- Mexico caught up in victorious jumble of joy
- At midnight, Riyadh erupts in cheers for a woman in a car
- US Navy planning new camps to support immigration crackdown: Report
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- 5 wall shelf design ideas for small spaces