Sandiaga Uno wants Brad Pitt ‘ondel-ondel’ for Asian Games
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno has expressed his wish for more diversity in ondel-ondel (giant Betawi effigies) during the 2018 Asian Games to be held in August.
Sandiaga said on Monday that the ondel-ondel should not be limited to the three 2018 Asian Games mascots, Atung, Bhin-Bhin and Kaka.
“We could use iconic and interesting ondel-ondel, such as Brad Pitt, Tom Hanks or Ryan Gosling. For the ladies, we can have one like Raisa,” said Sandiaga, as quoted by tempo.co, noting that an entrepreneur coached by the One District One Center of Entrepreneurship (OK-OCE) program could create ondel-ondel in the likeness of celebrities, even though such ondel-ondel may take longer to create.
The deputy governor was unsure whether such creations would involve royalty payments, saying small and medium enterprises (SMEs) should be given leniency.
According to Sandiaga, only 20 percent of Jakartans are familiar with the Asian Games, and the public would take greater interest in the event if the ondel-ondel were as heavily promoted as the mascots. (jlm)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Real Crazy Rich Asian wedding to cost $100 million
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- 21 tons of trash flows into Jakarta Bay daily: Researcher
- Indonesia launches One Map Policy to resolve land conflicts
- Wika announces development contracts in 10 countries
- Shopee BLACKPINK commercial too salacious, KPI says