Jakarta to host gymnastics test event
The Jakarta Post
Indonesia will organize a gymnastics test event for the Asian Games at Istora Senayan in Jakarta from April 25 to 28.
The event, named the 15th Junior Artistic Gymnastics Championships, will also be used as qualification for 2018 Youth Olympic Games in Buenos Aires, Argentina, in October.
The April event will feature 23 countries, including Bangladesh, China, Indonesia, Iran and Japan. The host country will deploy 10 athletes -- consisting of five boys and five girls -- to the Istora event, where the competition will be divided into different categories for boys aged between 14 and 17, as well as girls aged 13 to 15.
Ilya Avianti, the chairwoman of the Indonesian Gymnastics Association (Persani), said Indonesia was honored to host the event, adding that the country would be hosting an international gymnastics competition for the first time.
“Gymnastics is not a popular sport in Indonesia. Hosting the event will be a perfect opportunity for us to educate the public and introduce them to the sport in the hope that more people become enthusiastic about gymnastics ahead of the Asian Games,” Ilya said in a statement sent to The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.
Competition director Ita Yuliati said the junior championships would facilitate Indonesian gymnasts in studying their possible opponents for the Games. “Junior athletes will also have the experience of competing in an international tournament.” (rdi)
- Surfer severely mauled by shark in Australia
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Hummingbirds thrive at innovative Mexico gardens
- Lotte Chemical Indonesia begins construction of plant in Cilegon
- Prabowo answers all your burning questions in his little blue book
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- They played dead on the ground: Survivor recounts OPM massacre
- Garuda Indonesia takes passengers on trip to 1980s