Sandiaga appointed head of Prabowo's vice presidential selection team
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno was appointed the chairman of Prabowo Subianto’s vice presidential selection team over the weekend.
Sandiaga said he would not lose his focus as a public official in Jakarta. “God willing, the duty will not affect [my job as deputy governor],” Sandiaga said on Saturday according to tempo.co.
Sandiaga, a member of the Gerindra Party, was a member of Prabowo’s election team during the 2014 presidential election.
As chairman, Sandiaga will be tasked with traveling across the country to communicate with the public ahead of the 2019 presidential election.
However, Sandiaga said he would only focus on the duty on Sunday, devoting the rest of the week to his work as deputy governor.
“I have said to Pak Prabowo, if the [chairman] duties disrupt my job, I will not be able to fill the role,” he said.
In addition to Sandiaga, House of Representatives Deputy Speaker Fadli Zon and Gerindra Party secretary Ahmad Muzani have also been appointed as members of the team.
Prabowo has not officially declared his candidacy for the presidential election next year.
Last Monday, Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan, who has been mentioned as a potential running mate for Prabowo, visited Prabowo’s house on Jl. Kertanegara in Kebayoran Baru, South Jakarta.
The event was attended by Gerindra members.
Anies said he did not talk about the presidential election at the event and that he only congratulated Ahmad Muzani who was recently appointed as a People's Consultative Assembly deputy speaker. (cal/evi)
- Obama dancing in Kenya sends world aflutter
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- Malaysia issues arrest warrants for ex-1MDB executives
- Thailand's cave boys wake up at home for first time in weeks
- Rapes and beatings: The torments of South Korea's young athletes
- Indonesia sees 7 brutal animal killings in 2018
- Joey Alexander’s new music video showcases the beauty of Bali
- Russian 'agent' held on charges of seeking to infiltrate US govt
- BMKG warns of high waves around Lombok
- Prabowo visits Yudhoyono in hospital