Šimić scores four as Persija thumps Johor Darul Tazim
The Jakarta Post
Persija's Croatian striker Marko Šimić scored a quartet of goals on Tuesday evening, as the Jakarta club comprehensively beat Malaysia’s Johor Darul Tazim (JDT) in their group stage match of the 2018 Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Cup, the continent’s secondary soccer club tournament.
Šimić, the top-scorer so far in the tournament, produced his first goal in the seventh minute. He headed an assist from Riko Simanjuntak that could not be deflected by JDT goalkeeper Izham Tarmizi.
In the 12th minute, Rezaldi Hehanusa made a corner-kick assist that Šimić translated into a goal.
After the second goal, JDT played rough. In the 14th minute Muhamad Nazmi Faiz bin Mansor booked a yellow card, followed by Adam Nor Azlin in the 16th minute.
However, Persija added another goal as Šimić headed a Ramdani Lestaluhu pass into Izham's net.
In the second half, JDT was more dominant compared to Persija and the match got even rougher. In the 78th minute JDT went down to 10 players as Adam received his second yellow card.
Persija got a penalty after Riko was fouled in the box in the 84th minute and Šimić slotted in his fourth goal.
Over 60,000 spectators, including Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan, packed the recently renovated Gelora Bung Karno stadium for the match, which Persija won 4-0.
- Surfer severely mauled by shark in Australia
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Hummingbirds thrive at innovative Mexico gardens
- They played dead on the ground: Survivor recounts OPM massacre
- Prabowo answers all your burning questions in his little blue book
- Women accuse famous Brazil spiritual 'healer' of sex abuse
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- Garuda Indonesia takes passengers on trip to 1980s
- Sexual harassment in the sky: Hong Kong flight attendants fight back