House postpones hearing with Facebook over alleged data breach
The Jakarta Post
The House of Representatives has postponed a hearing with US-based social networking website Facebook’s Indonesian representatives, which had been scheduled for Wednesday. The Facebook representatives should have given their testimonies in the hearing about recent reports on data breaches that have allegedly affected the platform's users in Indonesia.
House Commission I, which oversees IT, defense and foreign affairs, had to postpone the hearing because Facebook representatives scheduled to give their testimonies were unable to attend Wednesday’s hearing in Jakarta.
“Facebook’s vice president for Southeast Asia, who we expected to come, and other officials couldn’t show up as they were summoned by Singapore’s parliament,” House Commission I member from the Golkar Party, Meutya Hafid, told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday. She further said the hearing had been rescheduled to next Tuesday.
Last week, Facebook revealed more than 1 million users from Indonesia might have had their personal information improperly shared with political consultancy firm Cambridge Analytica. Indonesia has the fourth-highest number of Facebook users in the world, reaching 130 million people.
The reported violations have led Indonesian experts and activists to put more pressure on the government and the House to immediately pass the long-awaited personal data protection bill. (ebf)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Instagram co-founders step down from company: NYT
- China says can't hold US trade talks with 'knife to the throat'
- K-Pop stars BTS at UN urge world's youth to 'just speak yourself'
- 'Scandal' website portrays Sandiaga Uno as womanizer
- Iran in the spotlight as Trump, Rouhani set for UN clash
- The Indonesian kid who stirs the Hollywood Bowl: Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Transjakarta bus crashes to avoid hitting street sweeper