West Bandung regent denies committing graft
The Jakarta Post
West Bandung Regent Abu Bakar was questioned on Tuesday evening by the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) about money he was suspected of collecting for medical treatment and to fund the nomination of his wife, Elin Suharliah, in the 2018 West Bandung election.
“Many reports have been filed with KPK claiming that I had instructed heads of agencies to collect funds for my medical treatment and for the nomination of my wife in the regental election,” Abu Bakar told journalists at his house in Lembang, West Bandung.
The regent said the two KPK investigators wrote down his statements in an investigation report (BAP).
Abu Bakar is serving a second term as West Bandung regent. His tenure ends this year.
Serving as the chairman of the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P) West Bandung executive board, Abu Bakar has nominated his wife to run for West Bandung regent, with Maman Sulaeman Sunjaya as her running mate. The candidate pair is also supported by the National Awakening Party (PKB) and the United Development Party (PPP).
Abu Bakar has denied all the claims accusing him of instructing West Bandung regional working units (SKPD) to collect money. “I’m fully aware that as a regent, my political opponents are spying on me.”
He expressed belief that all claims filed against him with the KPK were related to the regental election his wife would contest. “But I don’t want to speculate about it,” Abu Bakar said. (ebf)
- Some countries buying Russian gear deserve sanctions waivers: Mattis
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Thousands protest Australia's refugee detention policy
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Jakpost guide to Pasar Modern Bintaro
- Jambi girl imprisoned for abortion after being raped by brother
- This is why you’re sweating during sleep
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- 5.4 magnitude quake hits Solok, kills one
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world