Malaysian cycling team wins Tour de Lombok Mandalika 2018
The Jakarta Post
Team Sapura Cycling of Malaysia emerged as the overall winner in the three-stage 2018 Tour de Lombok Mandalika, which ended on Sunday.
Sapura Cycling clocked in at 29 hours, 18 minutes and 48 seconds to victory, followed by Indonesia KFC Cycling (29:36:39) in second place and Team Ukyo of Japan (29:40:37).
In the individual category, Alvaro Raul Duarte Sandova of Colombia, from Malaysia's Forca Amskin Team, secured the yellow jersey in the 2.2 tour event sanctioned by the Union Cycliste International (UCI). Sapura's Muhammad Zawawi of Malaysia and teammate Wilmar Zahir Perez Munoz finished in second and third, respectively.
The tour covered a total of 366 kilometers, taking routes that include tourist spots in Kuta, Sembalun and Mataram in Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara (NTB).
Eighteen teams from 24 countries took part in the event, which offered Rp 300 million (US$21,808) in prize money and UCI points, which are essential for cyclists to participate in other international races.
Besides Tour de Lombok Mandalika, Indonesia also regularly hosts UCI races, such as the Tour de Singkarak and Tour de Ijen Banyuwangi.
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- First to red planet will become Martians: Canada astronaut
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- China's bullet trains are coming for Hong Kong's airlines