Sago plantation worker dies after crocodile attack
The Jakarta Post
A contract worker of a sago plantation, Hongkiat, died after being attacked by a crocodile while he was harvesting sago for a factory owned by PT National Sago Prima in Meranti Islands regency, Riau province, the police said on Sunday.
Meranti Islands Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. La Ode Proyek, said the tragedy happened while the 18-year-old man was working on Saturday with other workers to collect sago branches in Kepau Baru village in Tebing Tinggi Timur district in the regency. “The workplace accident was witnessed by his fellow workers,” he said Sunday.
Hongkiat screamed for help when the crocodile bit his right leg. Other workers and his brother, Aking, who was fishing about 20 meters from the location tried to help but the crocodile pulled him into the river. “After searching for almost four hours, the villagers and other workers of the company found him dead. His body was intact except for the bite wound to his right leg,” Proyek said.
The police warned the workers around the waters to be careful because the accident was not the first of its kind reported there. (evi)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- India launches 'Modicare', world's biggest health scheme
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- China's bullet trains are coming for Hong Kong's airlines
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- Attempt to send underage prostitutes to Bali ends at airport: Police
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Supreme Court pick's accuser agrees to testify Thursday