7 killed, 17 injured in South Carolina prison riot
Seven inmates were killed and 17 others injured in a riot at a maximum security prison in South Carolina, the southern US state's Department of Corrections said Monday.
The department said the riot erupted Sunday evening at the Lee Correctional Institution in Bishopville, South Carolina and was brought under control at 2:55 am on Monday.
"The incident at Lee CI resulted in 17 inmates requiring outside medical attention and 7 inmates were killed," the department said on its Twitter account.
All prison guards and law enforcement authorities who responded were "safe and accounted for."
The department had initially described the riot as an "ongoing incident," revealing the scope of the problem hours after its start at 7:15 pm Sunday.
"The incident involved multiple inmate on inmate altercations in three housing units," the department said.
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- 22 migrants missing off Morocco after boat capsizes
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Trump says doesn't want to hear 'suffering' Khashoggi tape
- Republican urges conservatives to run against Trump in 2020
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...