7 killed, 17 injured in South Carolina prison riot
Seven inmates were killed and 17 others injured in a riot at a maximum security prison in South Carolina, the southern US state's Department of Corrections said Monday.
The department said the riot erupted Sunday evening at the Lee Correctional Institution in Bishopville, South Carolina and was brought under control at 2:55 am on Monday.
"The incident at Lee CI resulted in 17 inmates requiring outside medical attention and 7 inmates were killed," the department said on its Twitter account.
All prison guards and law enforcement authorities who responded were "safe and accounted for."
The department had initially described the riot as an "ongoing incident," revealing the scope of the problem hours after its start at 7:15 pm Sunday.
"The incident involved multiple inmate on inmate altercations in three housing units," the department said.
- Joey Alexander’s new music video showcases the beauty of Bali
- Indonesia sees 7 brutal animal killings in 2018
- Shell eyeing Indonesia's LNG market
- UK's official Brexit campaign fined, referred to police
- A world without America
- Beijing's new airport comes with new construction tech
- Indonesia to invite Kim Jong-un, Moon Jae-in to attend Asiad
- A guide to understanding the Freeport divestment deal
- Under fire, Trump says he misspoke on Russia election meddling
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world