I did it for fun, says hoax suspect
The Jakarta Post
East Jakarta Police have arrested MIA, 25, on allegations of disseminating false information regarding the discovery of a suspicious item in Santa Anna Parochial Church in Duren Sawit, East Jakarta, on Monday.
The information, that a backpack had been thrown at the church, was widely circulated on WhatsApp messaging app.
The police said they had received a call from an anonymous person about the finding.
Bomb squad members were deployed to only find that the information was false after finding nothing suspicious on the premises.
East Jakarta Police chief Sr. Comr. Tony Surya Putra said MIA was arrested at his house in Tambun, Bekasi, West Java, on Monday evening.
During a press conference on Tuesday, MIA told the police that he felt guilty about what he had done.
“I feel guilty. I just did it [disseminated the false information] for fun,” MIA said according to wartakota.tribunnews.com. (Cal)
- Tourists cause human traffic jam at Mt. Fuji
- Women accused of assassinating Kim Jong Nam face key court ruling
- Venezuelan general, colonel arrested over 'attack' on Maduro
- Prosecutors demand 1.5 years for Buddhist woman on ‘azan’ blasphemy charge
- Malaysia to alter 'hideous' tourism logo featuring ape in shades
- US believes missing journalist Tice still alive after six years
- Saudi state carrier hit by system failure ahead of haj
- Congresswoman-elect kidnapped in Mexico: Official
- Indonesian academics can now access e-journal databases worth $1m for free
- Asian Games torch relay route in Jakarta