I did it for fun, says hoax suspect
The Jakarta Post
East Jakarta Police have arrested MIA, 25, on allegations of disseminating false information regarding the discovery of a suspicious item in Santa Anna Parochial Church in Duren Sawit, East Jakarta, on Monday.
The information, that a backpack had been thrown at the church, was widely circulated on WhatsApp messaging app.
The police said they had received a call from an anonymous person about the finding.
Bomb squad members were deployed to only find that the information was false after finding nothing suspicious on the premises.
East Jakarta Police chief Sr. Comr. Tony Surya Putra said MIA was arrested at his house in Tambun, Bekasi, West Java, on Monday evening.
During a press conference on Tuesday, MIA told the police that he felt guilty about what he had done.
“I feel guilty. I just did it [disseminated the false information] for fun,” MIA said according to wartakota.tribunnews.com. (Cal)
- List of moderate Islamic preachers needed: Scholar
- US warns Syria of 'firm' action over southern offensive
- Colombia to become first Latin American NATO 'global partner'
- Pair of Japanese premium melons sell for record $29,300
- New Terrorism Law no silver bullet, says rights researcher
- Out of South Africa, reminiscing the indelible Eden
- Prisoners evacuated from flooded Pekalongan Penitentiary
- Police shut down illegal gold mines in Riau
- Dutch, Australia say Russia behind downing MH17
- France arrests two spies for passing secrets to China